Active Topics

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Well, besides the obvious removal of USB OTG, they really screwed this over. I have NEVER had any device capable of connecting/charging via usb with this many issues.

I still live in fear of letting the battery run down all the way, because then the n900 won't charge AT ALL. You have to fidgit with connecting and disconnecting the line and taking the battery out and EVENTUALLY it will boot. What a mess.

It also will not allow many USB chargers. That's fine, I made my own cables with the data pins shorted and they work. It does suck that I have to do that, but MANY phones seem to have that protection.

Now, however I got my first fun experience with a new issue. I keep hooking it up to two different PCs but the connection will never register. I have tried different microUSB->USB cables all with the same result. That means that it will NOT connect NOR charge. So I'm at work basically watching my phone bleed a slow power death. I'm going to have to turn it off to hopefully avoid the fiasco of getting a dead battery to start charging. Sometimes the connection will say "Not Charging. Insufficient Power" or some crap. From two different PCs and two different cables. Hmmm... something tells me it's not the PC with the issue.

I really try to brag my friends about the n900's hardware, but, seriously? You have to fight to get it to charge?

Anyone else with similar frustrations or did i just get a "lucky" unit?

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
Nothing like that with mine... my only quirk which sometimes happens is that when I connect it to my win xp machine, sometimes I get the full USB 2.0 transfer speeds, and sometimes it bums out and the transfer speed is very slow

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Mine charges just right. And I guess that wouldn't be possible if nokia really did screw the pooch.. Sorry to hear about your troubles with your unit.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulfarmer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
I have to say I think you've been unlucky here. Mine has charged via the mains charger, a usb cable (from PC, from Playstation 2 and from a powered USB hub with no data connection). I have also given the phone a charge from an AA battery pocket charger which all worked fine...

The manual did state that charging by USB may not provide enough power if the phone is under heavy load at the time, but I've not even noticed that as an issue. I think perhaps you should swap it or get your phone looked at by a Nokia service centre.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
Nothing like that with mine... my only quirk which sometimes happens is that when I connect it to my win xp machine, sometimes I get the full USB 2.0 transfer speeds, and sometimes it bums out and the transfer speed is very slow
No USB 2.0 speeds here! Mine is ALWAYS 1.1!It`s sooo frustrating!

Mine said the same after trying different 3 usb ports: "Not Charging. Insufficient Power"

so today I plugged it in and got the same message and just ignored it, after a while it charged the battery all the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to malabarbob For This Useful Post:
I have had a couple of instances where it did not register the USB was connected, but simply unplugging and reconnecting fixed that both times. Generally no problem. It does charge way slower via USB than my HTC G1 did, but that was slowish too.

no probs here either

Something simmilar reported here, after the update: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...578#post482578

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
People experiencing usb 1.1 problem. Do you have latest firmware?