Active Topics

Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
Seriously can Nokia give me the same superb functionality as my TomTom HD Live?? NO!

Phone navs are ok to get about especially when abroad but if you want something decent, you won't find it on a phone!

My TomTom has rerouting automatically, traffic updates and so much more. But that still cost me £250 and it can't do anything else than tell me where to go (like the wife lol).

ovi maps 3.0 on symbian can do all of that.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I would calm down a little. It will take a few days to sort everything out.

Here is how I see it:
- I bought an expensive device with the Nokia logo on it
- It was clear to me that the device is in its early stages and will have rough edges
- I expect Nokia to support the device to bring it in line with other high end Nokia devices
- Therfore I expect that they will deliver OVI maps with similar functionality as available on other high end Nokia devices.
- I am okay that it will take a little time given the relatively new OS.

I also expect clarifying statements by Nokia regarding this issue within a few days.

So I have expectations and will wait and see if Nokia is able and willing to fulfill them.

If they do not, then I have to reconsider my stands towards Nokia. But I really expect that they will come up with a good solution, as I believe that customers like me (and most others on this board) who bought an N900 are important for their future sales.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post

Here is how I see it:
- It was clear to me that the device is in its early stages and will have rough edges
- I expect Nokia to support the device to bring it in line with other high end Nokia devices
- Therfore I expect that they will deliver OVI maps with similar functionality as available on other high end Nokia devices.

I also expect clarifying statements by Nokia regarding this issue within a few days.

So I have expectations and will wait and see if Nokia is able and willing to fulfill them.

If they do not, then I have to reconsider my stands towards Nokia. But I really expect that they will come up with a good solution, as I believe that customers like me (and most others on this board) who bought an N900 are important for their future sales.
Nail on the head! Good post!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post

Here is how I see it:

That's fair enough.
Symbian is the main os supported by Nokia and on many of it's mobile phones. It is a larger installed user base.

However, this quote from the V.P. of Nokia caused alarm for a few people:
"In a call with Michael Halbherr, Nokia's VP of Social Location, we were told that the new Ovi Maps would arrive on the flagship N97 very shortly. It's currently a "software logistics issue" related to the maturity of the N97 device. N900 owners shouldn't hold their breath, though, as Nokia is focusing on bringing its free navigation service to the next generation of Maemo devices. That's not to say that the N900 won't get it eventually, only that it's not currently on the roadmap."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Actually I haven't got it working quite yet.
The installation process said Nokia PC Suite was required, then it installed that previously mentioned thing. Trying to install PC Suite manually to see if that makes anything any different.

Nah, I can't get this program talking to the phone. The instructions on the download page mismatches the instructions from the program, mass storage mode vs pc suite mode.
Oh great! Thanks Nokia you've just proven you do not know "arse from elbow".

Thanks for trying volt.

If the web page suggested to enter "mass storage" mode then it must be a simple file copy of the map data?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I've just seen this:http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...d#/nokia-n900/

If you look at bottom of page you see this: "*For your Nokia N900 use Mass storage mode."

If someone can confirm this works I would be eternally grateful!
Yes, it works. I am downloading right now the maps of all of Europe and Peru, as well as Spanish Female (Spain) voice. That makes 2.3GB of data.

The N900 is connected in mass storage mode and I have Ovi Suite installed (not PC Suite) in my WinXP 32bits SP3:

Greetings.

Last edited by kevloral; 2010-01-21 at 16:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
People really should calm down. I have seen no indication that Nokia has abandoned N900 yet. It simply wasn't on the list like million other Nokia phones and engadget is hardly "reliable source".

How much work do you think has gone to the Symbian version by now? Building a navigation software doesn't happen in a week. And no, you can't just compile Symbian software for Maemo. Nokia is certainly building Maemo based OVI maps that will be as good or better than Symbian ver 3, but give them some time.

N900 is going to be the only Maemo platform for nearly a year. For all those thinking Nokia is only after money, do you think it wouldn't make business sense the test the full OVI maps on N900 before launching the "Maemo for everybody"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reviver For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kevloral View Post
Yes, it works. I am downloading right now the maps of all of Europe and Peru, as well as Spanish Female (Spain) voice. That makes 2.3GB of data.

The N900 is connected in mass storage mode and I have Ovi Suite installed (not PC Suite) in my WinXP SP3 32bits.
Let me try that instead.

This may take several minutes.
Please wait.

Last edited by volt; 2010-01-21 at 16:06.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Free premium maps content on high end phones, smart move Nokia! I predicted this will happen sooner or later when Google announced free voice navigation for Android (in the end Nokia has better navigation data available through NavTeq than Google ATM).

I think the main reason that no newer version of Ovi Maps is available for the N900 is that they are re-writing it using Qt, so they can use the same code for Symbian and Maemo in the future. They probably started writing Ovi Maps for Maemo 5 a while ago (~1 year or so) using GTK and then realized that they will be switching to Qt for Maemo 6, so they didn't put much effort in it and realized some kind of preliminary version when the N900 came out.

Given that Qt 4.6 already runs on Maemo 5 I would be very surprised if they didn't release "Ovi Maps Qt" for Maemo 5 when it is ready.

All this is pure speculation, but it does make a lot of sense in my opinion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pinsh For This Useful Post:
Here is a link to a thread to update ovi maps manually.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38872

It does involve copying over existing files so be very, very careful.
"Warning of bricking device goes here may break the laws of time & space"

Tags
maemo can has?