Notices

Poll: new map sucks?
Poll Options
new map sucks?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Maemo 5 should be able to handle vector maps. As to commercial alternatives that use vector maps they exist but may not yet to be ported to the Maemo 5 environment. Maemo Mapper on the N810 meets my needs so I've not researched alternatives. There are multiple GPS applications that have been used on the N8x0 which are covered in the forums. That might be a place to start looking. OVI might be another place to look.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
It's likely that the maps are bitmap rather than vector. You need vector maps to be able find places or develop routes when offline. Maemo Mapper for example on the N810 is like that. I always do my routes the night before on my desktop system and send the resulting GPX files to the tablet. You'll need to download whatever maps you need while connected.
how can i get GPX files? do i need another program? once they are saved on my computer, do i just drag and drop them into my N900? please let me know how this works. i really need map but i cant use it without internet. this sucks!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
On the N8x0 tapping a GPX file starts Maemo Mapper with that route shown. I store my GPX files in the same folder as the map data base and opening a route in Maemo Mapper goes to that folder and lists the available routes. Building the map data base with Maemo Mapper requires an Internet connection and viewing the target map area. Once built the maps are available locally and can be used along with local GPX routes without an Internet connection. The maps application that comes preloaded on the N900 may work differently. Rather than downloading map tiles as you attempt to view them it may have an install process for loading maps. I can only speak to Maemo Mapper and specifically to the N8x0.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1