Active Topics

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
Originally Posted by alexreed88 View Post
Crap. I just started having this problem yesterday and figured all i needed to do was restart the phone. Didnt help. Confirmed that its a hardware fault because pressing the phone further on my ear enables me to hear a bit clearer. Whelp, guess its time to send it in...have a bright area on my screen thats bugging me anyway

REALLY disliking the somewhat shoddy build quality of some of the earlier units..from usb to mic to this..kinda reminds me of the pre.
So the earlier units have less build quality than the later units coming out today?

Should I sell my phone on Craigslist and just buy a new one? Hmmm......

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I've had weird low call volume issues a couple times. I never tried applying pressure like the OP described, but I've had the volume kick back in without doing anything. It didn't seem like a clearcut HW issue. I also don't use the phone function very much though. I'd be curious to know what NokiaCare has to say about this issue.

Well, here is the deal, im taking the phone to our workshop today and will do a proper teardown for troubleshooting purposes. i most likely will not be able to take any pics due to not having my camera here at work, but i will give a detailed decsription of what i find, if anything....

wish me luck =P

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellsinki
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
Ya and if we do find one, do we pay the costs or does Nokia cover the costs since it's still under warranty? I would love if Nokia would just send me a new phone and I can send this one back but I'm sure they want you to go through the whole schmeel of the phone being sent in to their repair center and I know for sure who ever the tech is that will look at it, will do one of those quick glances over the phone and see that everything is "okay" and just send the phone back to me with the problem still there.

That's why I don't wanna send it in and be without my N900 for WEEKS!
It didn't cost anything and it took 2 days.

Hi, i have mic problem also two big bright spots and i cant get gps lock, i bought from mpd but have went throught nokia site for repair as you get freepost, anyone know how they will fix the screen, mic and gps? how long do they take? and is there any chance of them just giving me new phone as its only 7 weeks old.

i have those same bright spots. i hope they fix it..

Ok gents,
I fixed my device. It was all fairly simple through the tear down, since i did'nt go into the lower half, and only took apart the screen/slider. Basically all that i did was take apart the slider and re-seat all the ribbon cable and make sure everything was snug, hand cleaned the connections/speaker and made sure i torqued down the screws appropriately.

The end result of this was that the sliding mechanism is now more snug and feels like new, and the phone works flawlessly, no more audio cutting out, and everything is hunky-dory.

In a nutshell something came loose either via sliding the devices screen up and down over time, or just randomly.
If you have a small amount of mechanical skill, steady hands, and a couple small screwdrivers you can most definitely do this.
note- i don't recommend you do this if you are unsure or unprepared to pay for a new device i YOU mess it up further.

-phreck

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
I guess I would give that a shot but not sure how to start by taking the top slider/screen part off? How long did it take you?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I don't have trouble with volume, but I can always hear those scratch-buzzing noises that are caused by the cell radio as if the speaker is not properly shielded (the stereo speakers don't have that problem)... It's not loud enough to be a problem, but it definitely is an annoyance. Apart from that, I have no other hardware issues whatsoever.

what you're saying may not be a hardware issue, look at this bug here. i'm having this issue myself also and i doubt it's hardware...

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6063