Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
OOPS!
won't be making that mistake again.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There's a whole project dedicated to providing internet security for people in Iran. It's called the Haystack Project.

Its main site is here:http://www.haystacknetwork.com/

Originally Posted by mpsi View Post
It should be without the hash Hash is for commenting out things which are not intended for the program to use (your comments, some disabled options etc.)
I took out the hashes....now, what is this all about:
Attached Images

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Guangzhou, China
Please check if you haven't removed hashes from some lines that were there already, I suspect these two:

#BridgeRelay 1
#ExitPolicy reject *:*

The hashes should be there, since you don't want to be a bridge relay yourself!

If you're unsure, you can uninstall tor package, if the current torrc file will be still there you can remove it ("sudo rm /etc/tor/torrc" should work), then reinstall the package, and add your four lines again, without hashes and without touching anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpsi For This Useful Post:
Please check if you haven't removed hashes from some lines that were there already, I suspect these two:

#BridgeRelay 1
#ExitPolicy reject *:*

The hashes should be there, since you don't want to be a bridge relay yourself!
you were right, took the hashes off those 2 lines and that warning went away. unfortunately, it's been 10 minutes (on WLAN) and it still says connecting. And I'm using fresh bridges.
Looks like I'll have to wait some more for a solution.

If you're unsure, you can uninstall tor package, if the current torrc file will be still there you can remove it ("sudo rm /etc/tor/torrc" should work), then reinstall the package, and add your four lines again, without hashes and without touching anything else.
check that. it took about 12 minutes but its finally connected. And I finally got on to facebook but it is just too slow to be usable. its been 2 minutes logging in and still not on my home page. :S

thanks mpsi
I'll be using this only for emergency uses. still on the lookout for something more stable/faster.

ps - how's the weather in guangzhou? do you think Chengdu is too cold to visit next month for 春节?

Sometimes it is very slow, but usually it is okay. Occasionally refreshing the loading page may help, as Tor changes connection circuits from time to time, and may change to a better one.

It looks like it's only slightly warmer here now So you live in Chengdu? Never been to Sichuan