I brought mine about a week after CES, and I don't see that problem. But yes I do feel a little sluggish from time to time. But nothing major. Considering I have bunch of stuff on there, and booting off from an 8GB card, I'll say it's handing very well, much better than 770. And yes, I hate the case as well, so I bought a DS lite case for $10, cut off some of the plastic, and use the rest to hold the n800. It fit sungly.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As has been mentioned, the shadowing is a known issue. It can't be completely eliminated as yet, but it does manifest to various degrees. If yours is really bad, you might consider returning it for a replacement, and if you can, fire up the replacement in the store before taking it home.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As has been mentioned, the shadowing is a known issue. It can't be completely eliminated as yet
Hi Texrat

Is the shadowing and position of the backlight on the right handside, connected with the loss of touch screen sensitivity on the N800, thread here? Most of the touch screen sensitivity issues seem to happen on the right hand side, is there a link?

Rich

I am not sure if there is a link. If you look closely, though, you will see that the LCD light emitters are on the right side; they are the cause of the shadowing. I'm thinking a solution would involve an improved diffuser. It *may* be possible that the emitter strip interferes with screen sensitivity, but I'm not in a position to verify that at this point.

Just to confirm this issue, when i got mine brand new from nokia it was a bright lit display as expected on all four corners. Today i have now noticed the gray shadow wiith it apears to be light emition on the right most dominant on the boot screen. Also the day before i noticed on the far right sside i had trouble witthh having the screen to scroll and had to press harder in order for it to respond. This is definetly not a feature because it was not there when i fitst got. We may need to replace al; our units if this is infact a problem that needs to be recalled.

Originally Posted by profusion View Post
We may need to replace al; our units if this is infact a problem that needs to be recalled.
So far the problem is not pervasive enough to justify a recall. That may change with time but I doubt it.

I would recommend returning your device for another.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Pleasant Valley, NY
I have had the slight shading on the right side of my screen on the n800 since I first turned it on. I have seen this before on other mobile devices. After a while I do not notice it unless I look for it. For me it is not enough of a problem to return it.
I also noticed over time that I now have to press a little harder to scroll on the lower middle right side. But again, at this point it has not been enough of a problem for me to return it. Still have 9 months to decide before the waranty expires.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Minnesota
I've always had the shadow, and can guarantee everyone else has it if they look for it.

Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I've always had the shadow, and can guarantee everyone else has it if they look for it.
I and im sure other would disagree with you on that.

When I first got my tablet in perfect working condition I went to google.ca and typed in the search feild " nokia n800 forums" this forum came up and as I browsed through it to find what cool things I can install to make it more functional I came across this section. I looked for the dark shadow to see if I had this issue most were complaining about and didnt see it, I didnt even bother to respond to the topic with a comment "mines good" it would not be very productive or helpful to those who do have this problem. Now that its very noticable and gradually getting darking.. id say myself and others are not imagining things.

If you had this problem all the time, then yours was bad from the get go. I can tell you for a fact the left side of your screen should be as bright as the right and the screen should be sensative on any side of the screen you touch.

I will see if I can take a picture of how it looks and see if the camera can pick it up for those who dont know what it looks like.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
So far the problem is not pervasive enough to justify a recall. That may change with time but I doubt it.

I would recommend returning your device for another.
Yeah that the best advice anyone can give thanks, I have read your past comments in other sections of this forum and can see your "internal fustration" =P I understand why you cant spill the beans sort of say. Our best bet is as you have stated. Only anoying thing is we would have to re-install all of our applications and customizations, I had just did my kernel update for my 4g sdhc card to work! lol. I just hope that when I send it back they dont send me another defective one...

I got mine from Nokia Canada, is there anyway to find out if they have no defective ones there? will they have to ship it from the U.S or were the main factory is that has adjusted this in the assembly line?

Id rather ship it to were it will get replaced then to go into a loop that get me no where bot a lost device like some had on this forum.