Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Samuel
like "hcitool scan" for example ?
Yup. I noticed tonight playing with gpsdrive (downloadingg maps) that the WLAN connection kept dropping and eventually the 770 locked up tight (is there a hard reset? I had to remove the battery).

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Continuing to try to fix things here.

My 770 has gotten more and more unstable, to the point it could not keep the connection long enough to load more than a page...

I tried to reset the 770's settings, using "control panel" and re-entered my wpa key manually. This has markedly improved things at first. I was able to keep connected for 10-20 minutes. I still got intermittent connection drops, though.

Then I restored my network settings from the MMC. The connection is still relatively stable, although the browser crashes on some pages.

A few notes in the case this problem is somewhat caused by corrupted settings:
-when I first set the 770 up, everything went fine, as far as I can recall.
-my wpa key is quite long (35 characters)
-when I first got my 770, I have added and removed 5 to 10 networks to the connectivity panel (I wanted to try things).

As a next step, I will restart the machine from scratch and re-enter all data manually. I hope it will make the machine usable again.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Denmark
Hi

Just wondering if people still having problems with wifi stability

I just got my 770 a few days ago, when I am using the browser I get disconnected reguraly, and have to reconnect

But when using audio streaming the connection is stable.

So I can start listning to internet radio, and then using the browser with no problems.

Are others having same problems ??

Running SW: 2.2005.45-7

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
My 770 loses connection 1-2 times per hour. I have to disconnect and to connect in order to have wireless connectivity again. Maybe it has to do with the idle time settings of the WLAN configuration.

Netgear WG102GR, 802.11b/g, WAP PSK
FW: 2.2005.45-7

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by StevenS
My 770 loses connection 1-2 times per hour. I have to disconnect and to connect in order to have wireless connectivity again. Maybe it has to do with the idle time settings of the WLAN configuration.

Netgear WG102GR, 802.11b/g, WPA PSK
FW: 2.2005.45-7
I'm on firmware -8 and I see this with WPA-PSK, too.
I dropped down to WEP-128 and it seemed to decrease the connection negotiation time and also increase the time it'd stay connected.

I'm staying with WEP128 for a while.

Jaycee

First my 770 dropped frequently the WLAN connection. Made all updates: Linksys router's firmware and the 770's software. But no visible improvement.
Found, when using "G-only"-protocol setting , the 770 must be nearer than 2 m from the router to achieve a stable connection. When changed the protocol to "mixed" mode setting in the router, the droppings disappeared!
Conclusion: G-protocol is too fast or insensitive for the 770, B-protocol works fine.
Has anybody met similar experiences? I haven't seen any discussion about B/G-protocols with the 770.

I have Apple Airport Extreme as WIFI router in central location of house & have no problem. I can even "see" 2 of my neighbors' WIFI routers as well but they are locked systems & I cannot try to access them.. So yesterday I decided to test the reception. I have T-Mobie Hotspots account & can access internet from any Starbucks. I drove to one of the Starbucks in my neighborhood. l sat in the car on the far side of the parking lot & still got excellent reception. I surfed to various websites with.no problem

I use a D-Link (128 bit WEP) and it works great! I can also see four of my neighbors wireless routers (not secured) as well.

Tony

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
My router is set up to G only and the connection drops all the time. But in an internet cafe with B protocol, the connection dropped as well.

Now, what I have not (yet) tried is to reset the machine and go to the internet cafe. It seems that once you get the problem, the problem only gets worse, so maybe I got the problem with B protocol only because I had had it with G protocol first...

Originally Posted by lenfischer
I experienced that same issue. Eventually, I realized that the 770 is very good at picking up "ad hoc" wireless networks that appear just to be laptop or desktop Wi-Fi cards that are broadcasting an SSID. While most folks don't do it, I guess it's possible to network two or more computers in a simple network using Wi-Fi cards alone. So, if you can't connect, and it says "ad hoc" network in connection manager, you're probably connecting to someone's Wi-Fi card instead of access point.

BTW, I have had no trouble connecting to access points at Panera Bread, Starbucks, America West's frequent flyer club at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. Also no problem with my Apple 802.11g Airport at home. However, I was never able to connect to the Hyatt Regency wireless network in Phoenix. Worked fine with my Powerbook, but no luck on the 770. Would see the access point. I would try to connect and immediately get bounced. Any thoughts?
just picked up my 770 and trying to connect through my airport extreme at home (to a mac mini) - the folks at nokia are (i think erroneously) telling me that the 770 doesn't work with the airport extreme wifi but it seems to me that it's really a firewall issue. thoughts folks?