Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by igagis View Post
buurmas

does "c" and "C" denotes the C notes from different octaves, "c" is one octave lower than "C"?
Just the opposite -- "c" is one octave higher than "C". Why, you ask? I have no clue.

Also, as I understood, G>F means hold G for 1.5 beats and then F for half a beat. Why is not it written like this: G> F/, since / means hold note for half a beat?
No clue. I actually haven't studied abc in any depth -- it just occurred to me that it is a notation that could be useful for Theremin fans. This page is a great crash course:
http://abcnotation.com/examples.html

How are delays indicated in this notation?
Like rests? Apparently you use a 'z' instead of a note letter. I assume the same rules for designating length apply.

EDIT: what does (c4 c3) mean?
Those two notes are tied together (equivalent in length to c7, but the two notes might be separated by a measure bar when written out on the staff). EDIT: actually, I should have put c4-c3.

If people find abc notation sufficiently intuitive, then I think the best thing would be to have a script that could convert the key signature (in this case, to C major) without transposing (i.e., it would keep all the pitches the same, but it would fill in the sharps and flats). Then the library of abc sheet music out there could be made more human-readable and musical-beginner-friendly.

Last edited by buurmas; 2009-12-14 at 13:20. Reason: Corrected (c4 c3)

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
buurmas

Thank you for your replies.

The converter script would be good, but, unfortunately, I cannot take this task due to several reasons, including low scripting skills and lack of time. If there's someone with scripting skills who would take it, that would be great.

Thanks! BTW, I've been realizing some of my previous posts had incorrect understandings of abc and have been trying to correct them. Re: the script, I might give it a shot as well, but it will likely move at glacial speeds and there is still opportunity for a motivated person to grab it.

Update: there is a utility out there called abc2abc that I think will do the trick. This is packaged with abcMIDI and abctool. RunABC is a GUI wrapper for abcMIDI and others. The last option seems most promising, but it needs abcMIDI to be installed separately, and the Windows installer link for abcMIDI was broken last time I checked.

This looks promising. I'll post again when I'm ready to try cranking out a bunch of scrubbed abc songs as an experiment. Then I'll take requests for a future direction after that.

Also, I will take requests for transcribing any short song that either (1) I know (which means classical, jazz, hymns, Christmas carols) or (2) to which sheet music is publicly available.

thank you for making theremin! neat toy

some quick feedback after trying out 1.4 from testing:

on first launch, none of the keys made sounds; works on second launch

audio artifacts when hitting very top of the key

audio artifacts when N900 at max volume

no app icon in launcher

app menu not maemo-like: consider removing Exit, rename Options to Settings, switch from drop-down to overlay with big buttons

Options not maemo-like either; everything is small and too close together

The Following User Says Thank You to jacktanner For This Useful Post:
Finally, I managed to releaze hildonized version of theremin for maemo5 and N900.
The problems with the sound are also fixed, now Theremin uses PulseAudio instead of ALSA.

The version 1.7.2 is available in Fremantle extras-testing.
Feel free to test!

Thanks,
Ivan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to igagis For This Useful Post:
Thanks! I really like this app. one thing that might be cool with the keyboard version is to use sudden changes in finger placement (instant massive movement without lifting) to infer chords.

The Following User Says Thank You to dmj726 For This Useful Post:
This is a really fun application!

However it seems to take up ~1.7 MB on rootfs, and I can't find it under /opt/.

Can you please optify it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Soder For This Useful Post:
Soder
there is nothing to optify there. It installs maemomm libraries along with it, this is why it takes 1.7mb. It has no any resources like images or sounds etc. except icon which is about 1kb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igagis For This Useful Post:
New version of Theremin available for FREMANTLE in extras-testing.

Version 1.8.1.

Additions:
- several minor things corrected
- new playing mode: Anglephone. Uses accelerometer for controlling the sound pitch. Horizontal position of tap point on the screen controls the loudness of the sound.

Welcome to test.