Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
qobi,
I cannot thank you enough for this!

Since I have the Nokia su-8w, all I had to do was:

$ cp -i /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook/geometry/pc /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/.

Now I can get my Danish keyboard to work by doing:

$ setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model nokiasu8w -layout dk

This is FANTASTIC Thank you _so_ much!

The Following User Says Thank You to filologen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qobi View Post
First, let me emphasize that you should not attempt to do this unless you know what you are doing. If you make a mistake and mess up the /usr/share/X11/xkb directory you will brick your device and need to reflash. I know because I did.

This assumes that you have already enabled HID bluetooth by editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf as described elsewhere. And that you hae already installed /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook from the tar file that I posted earlier in this thread.
Do I understand correctly that after deleting "input" from the list of disabled plugins and pairing the keyboard, I should see the keyboard in the output of "hildon-im-xkbtool --list"? Unfortunately that's not the case for me, so I must be missing something.

I use the GUI to pair with the keyboard by going to the Bluetooth dialog, selecting "Devices", then "New", then selecting the "Think Outside Keyboard" device, clicking on "Pair" and entering the (randomly generated) key on the keyboard. After pressing "Enter", I get a "Pairing complete" message and the keyboard appears in the list of Bluetooth devices. However, it does not show up in the "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" output.

Please tell me whether I'm doing something wrong.

As a remark regarding the warning about having to reflash after messing up the xkb files -- I think I narrowly escaped that yesterday. I did accidentally overwrite /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51, but was logged into my N900 via ssh and could repair the problem by running "apt-get --reinstall install xkb-data".

Best regards, Jan

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by jtkim View Post
Do I understand correctly that after deleting "input" from the list of disabled plugins and pairing the keyboard, I should see the keyboard in the output of "hildon-im-xkbtool --list"? Unfortunately that's not the case for me, so I must be missing something.

I use the GUI to pair with the keyboard by going to the Bluetooth dialog, selecting "Devices", then "New", then selecting the "Think Outside Keyboard" device, clicking on "Pair" and entering the (randomly generated) key on the keyboard. After pressing "Enter", I get a "Pairing complete" message and the keyboard appears in the list of Bluetooth devices. However, it does not show up in the "hildon-im-xkbtool --list" output.

Please tell me whether I'm doing something wrong.

As a remark regarding the warning about having to reflash after messing up the xkb files -- I think I narrowly escaped that yesterday. I did accidentally overwrite /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51, but was logged into my N900 via ssh and could repair the problem by running "apt-get --reinstall install xkb-data".

Best regards, Jan
Jan I have the same thing. My palm bluetooth keyboard, which I had succesfully paired before after modifying main.conf, and worked every time I turned it on prior to upgrading to week 46, now only pairs and then nothing more.

Iīve once seen the N900īs bluetooth icon briefly flash blue when turning on the keyboard but otherwise thereīs nothing to be done.

The option to "connect" in the bluetooth menu is grayed out for the keyboard and I canīt get it to show up.

Is there a log on the device for bluetooth connection attempts?

Where are the input drivers/profiles for the keyboard located on the N900? There is HAL directory and a NETWORK directory under /etc but no INPUT directory. (hal and network were the other two profiles disabled in main.conf) I am simply wondering if the HID/input profile was removed from the week 46 or week 51 firmware.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-24 at 00:24.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
This assumes that you have already enabled HID bluetooth by editing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf as described elsewhere. And that you hae already installed /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook from the tar file that I posted earlier in this thread.

Make sure that in the above you give cp the -i option and that you do not overwrite any files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/
t.
I don't really know what I am doing but I want to have a go and I know the consequences.

Firstly I have managed to edit the main.conf file but how do I install the chinook tar?

Then secondly, how do ensure that I don't overwrite any files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Jan I have the same thing. My palm bluetooth keyboard, which I had succesfully paired before after modifying main.conf, and worked every time I turned it on prior to upgrading to week 46, now only pairs and then nothing more.

Iīve once seen the N900īs bluetooth icon briefly flash blue when turning on the keyboard but otherwise thereīs nothing to be done.

The option to "connect" in the bluetooth menu is grayed out for the keyboard and I canīt get it to show up.

Is there a log on the device for bluetooth connection attempts?

Where are the input drivers/profiles for the keyboard located on the N900? There is HAL directory and a NETWORK directory under /etc but no INPUT directory. (hal and network were the other two profiles disabled in main.conf) I am simply wondering if the HID/input profile was removed from the week 46 or week 51 firmware.
I think I've got week 51 firmware, my version (according to "About product") is 2.2009.51-1.002, so I guess this is year 2009, week 51. qobi, which version are you using?

I don't have any HAL or NETWORK directories. I do have /etc/hal and /etc/network, but the latter is known to me as the standard Debian network interface configuration place, so I don't think the two directories are linked to bluetoothd plugins. I don't know how to find out which bluetooth plugins are available on the device, though. Tips or answers anyone?

Best regards, Jan

I am running 1.2009.44-1.002. Can you run lsmod and see if the following modules are installed: hid, hidp, uinput, hci_h4p, bluetooth

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
I am running 1.2009.44-1.002. Can you run lsmod and see if the following modules are installed: hid, hidp, uinput, hci_h4p, bluetooth

The two hid modules are not installed. The other 3 are. So Nokia likely did remove the keyboard support.

Any tips on getting them back or installing them separately?

I'm quite new at this, but I've reflashed a few times so I am not too afraid at trying this and that.

Jan can you do sudo lsmod in X-Terminal and see if hid and hidp are also missing from your list of installed modules?

And Jan, the directories for network and hal which you talked about under /etc were the same ones I was talking about on mine. I capitalized them in my text, but they're not capitalized on my system.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-24 at 02:37.

I have the files /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/hid.ko and /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/hidp.ko. Can you see if they are in the PR1.1 release? (It might be a different kernel version so change the pathname if necessary.)

I have the files /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/hid.ko and /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/hidp.ko. Can you see if they are in the PR1.1 release? (It might be a different kernel version so change the pathname if necessary.)
They are here in that very same directory.

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
I don't really know what I am doing but I want to have a go and I know the consequences.

Firstly I have managed to edit the main.conf file but how do I install the chinook tar?

Then secondly, how do ensure that I don't overwrite any files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/?
You sort of got neglected. Let me answer your questions.

First question:
1. Plug your phone up to your computer and select Mass Storage mode. Open the .tar up in Winzip or another program that opens Zip files. Extract the contents to your desktop.

2. After extracting the .tar you should have a directory called xkb-chinook on your desktop. Copy that directory into the tmp folder on your N900 (which you find as a mass storage drive in windows explorer)

3. Disconnect your N900.

4. Open up X-term and use the command sudo gainroot to get root powers.

5. use the command cd MyDocs/tmp to get into the tmp folder you just moved the xkb-chinook directory to.

6. use the ls command to list the contents of the tmp folder. You should see xkb-chinook on that short list

7. use the move command, mv xkb-chinook /usr/share/X11/ to move the xkb-directory into the X11 directory.

8. Now if you do the following command /usr/share/X11 and then the ls command you should see that within the X11 directory there are both xkb and xkb-chinook.

9. You have now come far enough to follow qobi's instructions in his post that is linked here below. Congratulations!
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=490777

Second question:
You are fine until you start following qobi's intructions.In qobi's instructions he includes -i in the command to copy files and folders, cp. The -i tells linux/maemo to prompt you for a Yes or no answer if a file with the same name exists in the folder.

So if a file with the same name as the one you are copying would exist you would have to say n for no to that question. But a file with the same name shouldn't exist in this case so linux/maemo shouldn't prompt you at all when you follow his instructions

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-24 at 02:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post: