hey all,

I dont like that the n900 violently shakes when i receive a new IM. i just like the blue led notification light.
/etc/mce/mce.ini has the following lines near the end:
Code:
VibratorPatterns=PatternIncomingCall;PatternIncomingMessage;PatternPowerKeyPress;PatternTouchscreen;PatternChatAndEmail
PatternChatAndEmail=4;3;1;1;30;360;0;100;154
Does anyone think or know if it would be catastrophic (meaning: requiring a flash) to either remove ;PatternChatAndEmail from the above string or comment out the PatternChatAndEmail=4;3;1;1;30;360;0;100;154 line?

I am hesitant to do so as iv heard the mce.ini file is 'dangerous' and iv already had to reflash my tablet once (a little too aggressive with remapping some keys... oops), so if anyone knows flat-out i would appreciate you sharing your knowledge =]

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
hey all,

I dont like that the n900 violently shakes when i receive a new IM. i just like the blue led notification light.
/etc/mce/mce.ini has the following lines near the end:
Code:
VibratorPatterns=PatternIncomingCall;PatternIncomingMessage;PatternPowerKeyPress;PatternTouchscreen;PatternChatAndEmail
PatternChatAndEmail=4;3;1;1;30;360;0;100;154
Does anyone think or know if it would be catastrophic (meaning: requiring a flash) to either remove ;PatternChatAndEmail from the above string or comment out the PatternChatAndEmail=4;3;1;1;30;360;0;100;154 line?

I am hesitant to do so as iv heard the mce.ini file is 'dangerous' and iv already had to reflash my tablet once (a little too aggressive with remapping some keys... oops), so if anyone knows flat-out i would appreciate you sharing your knowledge =]
It worksforme. Just make sure you comment out both the name in the VibratorPatterns list and the Pattern definition itself, otherwise it will probably complain at you. As for MCE being dangerous, it handles things like the power button and device state, so it is possible to do dumb things with it, but my guess is that the LED/vibra patterns are pretty safe to fiddle with. You'll probably want to reboot after changing it, as this will make it take effect immediately (this being Linux, I'm sure you can do it without rebooting, but I don't know how off the top of my head). The vibra controller chip itself is capable of changing the strength of vibration, but I'm not sure if you can do that through MCE directly.
Cheers

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
i commented out the second string and restarted the mce service.
works perfectly and it even boots up =]

to stop/start the mce service (and others) do the following:
Code:
stop mce
start mce
dont use
Code:
/etc/init.d/mce stop|restart
it just reboots =]

thanks for your help!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
i commented out the second string and restarted the mce service.
works perfectly and it even boots up =]

to stop/start the mce service (and others) do the following:
Code:
stop mce
start mce
dont use
Code:
/etc/init.d/mce stop|restart
it just reboots =]

thanks for your help!
Riiight, I forgot they were using Upstart, and in any case, it's not something I'm familiar with (having moved away from Ubuntu before they switched). Glad to be of assistance.
On an aside, though, is using the old SysV-style init.d scripts generally the Wrong Way on the N900? My impression was that Upstart still supported that mechanism as legacy.

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Works over here too
Finally...
I hate the vibrating for IM

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Kingdom....for now.
I have done the above and it works for both Silent and General profiles.
Is it possible to turn off vibrate for just the General profile?

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
It worksforme. Just make sure you comment out both the name in the VibratorPatterns list and the Pattern definition itself, otherwise it will probably complain at you. As for MCE being dangerous, it handles things like the power button and device state, so it is possible to do dumb things with it, but my guess is that the LED/vibra patterns are pretty safe to fiddle with. You'll probably want to reboot after changing it, as this will make it take effect immediately (this being Linux, I'm sure you can do it without rebooting, but I don't know how off the top of my head). The vibra controller chip itself is capable of changing the strength of vibration, but I'm not sure if you can do that through MCE directly.
Cheers
Hi,

Today I bought a new N900.. I have problem with touch vibration. I hope this will work similarly for touch vibration. But please let me know how to comment it.. it would be great if you explain it with an example.
Thanks,
Sivaji

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
If you don't like the haptic feedback (vibration on touch) then you can manually change that in settings without risking anything like commenting out lines in your mce.ini file.

Settings - Profiles - Untick the check box next to Vibrate.

Note that this will kill all vibration in the profile, so when it rings it won't vibrate, when you get an SMS it won't vibrate etc.

If you really want to edit mce then download leafpad / vim / nano whatever text editor you want and go, in Xterm;

Code:
leafpad /etc/mce/mce.ini
Scroll right to the bottom of the file and add a
Code:
#
to the line that currently states
Code:
PatternTouchscreen=10;3;0;0;23;0;15;50;255
so that it reads
Code:
# PatternTouchscreen=10;3;0;0;23;0;15;50;255
If it bricks your phone then have fun flashing!

Last edited by Switch_; 2011-01-26 at 16:16. Reason: added mce.ini edit instructions

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
and what if i wanted to have vibration only for calls and for texts ?

I am new to maemo(N900).. but still easily understandable.. even though I had to make some search for getting admin authority (enable root to edit/stop/start mce).. vibration disabled and working fine.

Thanks a lot..

Last edited by Shivu025; 2011-05-05 at 14:01.