Active Topics

I went to the CPW the other day to try the N900 again (still undecided!) and asked the guy a few questions, however, you guys here may know better.

I was going to try out the virtual keyboard whilst writing a text, and I asked the guy who was serving me if there was a virtual keyboard, he said no. I'm sure I've seen a video with a virtual keyboard, can any one clarify if it does, or doesn't?

As you may know, the only contracts available are 2 year contracts on Vodafone. Is it at all possible to get it on a contract, and be entitled to the "cooling off period" in case I get it home and decide I don't like the device? Again, the guy from CPW said it isn't possible, however on my last contract (Orange), I had a 14 day period in which I could return the phone, and cancel the contract at no cost.

Cheers.

Hello

It has a virtual keyboard. To start the virtual keyboard, ensure that the hardware keyboard is not visible, then just tap in a text field to launch the onscreen keyboard. Only has a horizontal mode so far but possibly portrait support to come in an upcoming firmware update (but who knows?).

No idea about contracts. Bought my device outright.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinNZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
there is a virtual keyboard but it has to be enabled in the settings under ¨text input¨

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktchiu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
i've deactivated the virtual keyboard in the preferences.
the n900 has a full hardware keyboard and because there is no portrait yet there's no need (imho) for the virtual one.
btw: the virtual keyboard is ugly. ^^

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I was right!

I'm sure there will be a possibility to modify the looks of the keyboard? If I were to get the N900, I will rarely use it, however it is good to know I can use the on screen one.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by m165 View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought I was right!

I'm sure there will be a possibility to modify the looks of the keyboard? If I were to get the N900, I will rarely use it, however it is good to know I can use the on screen one.
what do you mean about "the looks"? eye candy or keyboard layouts?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

In the UK i believe there is a cool off period for ALL contracts.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
There are no cooling off periods in the UK any more for phones bought from shops as u get a demo in store, How ever if you buy over the phone or on the internet you get a 7 day cooling off period. Go direct to Vodafone i got

750 any netowork mins
unlimited Data
unlimited text
unlimited voda to voda calls
unlimited landline calls
vodafone passport

For £30 a month including a Free phone :-D just haggle them they will move

Originally Posted by randall8686 View Post
There are no cooling off periods in the UK any more for phones bought from shops as u get a demo in store, How ever if you buy over the phone or on the internet you get a 7 day cooling off period. Go direct to Vodafone i got

750 any netowork mins
unlimited Data
unlimited text
unlimited voda to voda calls
unlimited landline calls
vodafone passport

For £30 a month including a Free phone :-D just haggle them they will move
And that was with the N900? Stores near me still aren't stocking it, so I can only go with the CPW at the moment, however I'd prefer to go direct. I might try ringing Vodafone, see if they will do me a deal over the phone, as I don't need the 1200 minutes they offer, 600 mins is fine for me.

@ossipena - The eye candy, but I imagine the layout could be changed too. As long as it works well enough for whenever it may be used, then I'm not too fussed.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Yes that was with Voda over the phone and got the N900 Free it is a 24 month contract tho how ever i always drop the tarrif when i get bored and buy it out to upgrade early but this time i actually came to the end of my contract.