Active Topics

so i, like WAY too MANY others, have an n900 unit whose usb port has ceased to function. after reading many posts on this issue, i decided to open mine up and have a look. it came apart and went back together lickety split. the usb port didn't look like it had been seperated from it's mount at all but, the shield looks a little wonky. so, i bit the bullet and called my vendor for a return; wait, they only return 30 days (phone is a WHOPPING 40 days "old"). so, i called nokia support. after 40 minutes of wasted time, i was told i'd be sent an email with information regarding return for repair service as, nokia TOO has a 30 day replacement policy. last time i knew, products sold in the us by law carry a 1 year warranty against defect. anyway, i've yet to receive said email (even though i double and triple checked the email address with the "agent") despite being promised an expedited email. so, rather than waste MORE time providing free QA support for a very spendy device by a giant, i went ahead and ordered an external wall charger (takes up just as much space as either the stock charger OR the usb-sync cable).

now, onto the BIG question and drive for a new topic ...

do i even NEED to be concerned with the non-functional usb? i mean other than legacy support and the (not sure on this one) potential to boot from this device? most devices i use these days are either or both capable of wi-fi or bluetooth connectivity and this device will update over the air so, no biggy there (until catastrophic crash that requires a flash). so, if i can accept slower data transfer rates and the switch in charging hardware, what if any functionality will i have lost?

i apologize if i've not made this question clear. i tried and used the search function.

slightly off topic, does anyone think an internal android or another distro could be leveraged for recovery "flashing"?

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
Obvious first.
You've checked another cable?

However - there are really no problems with having a broken USB - unless your device decides not to boot due to corruption somehow.

Then you can't flash.
No, if flash is corrupt, there is no easy way round it.

Does it still charge?

if ur usb is broken, how do u charge?

thanks all!

"No, if flash is corrupt, there is no easy way round it." >>> i guess that'll be the day it goes back or, should i say, make another almost 1hr attempt to contact nokia. sucks to spend so much and have to sit on the edge.

"Does it still charge?" >>> nadda. like the other tales go, no trouble, little trouble, lot of trouble, little fuss, lot of fuss, no charge.

"if ur usb is broken, how do u charge? " >>> external wall charger for battery. see ebay and the like.

no usb no way to flash other than that everthing gets an alternative