Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I understand that Apple's shares have done badly in the last hour or so. Which suggests that people here are not the only ones unimpressed. Of course, I'd expect people here to unimpressed.
The rumor mill before Apple product launches is insane and sets ridiculous expectations. When it is finally revealed and doesn't actually fly to the moon an back on a single charge it's a disappointment and the stocks go down.

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
"We've always tried to be at the intersection of technology and liberal arts -- we want to make the best tech, but have them be intuitive. It's the combination of these two things that have let us make the iPad."

OMG, this guy... he is just amazing. He truly speaks to the geek, the art guy, the indie music fan, the mom with 7 kids, that hot red head that gives me lunch everyday... Nokia needs to hire him!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
Is this "Apple A4" basically just a Snapdragon?
PA Semiconductor's 1ghz A4 processor.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Brank View Post
Exactly what I want. The N900 is already really good
I'd just like a fcking N900 that doesn't play the ringtone of an incoming call to everyone in my train carriage when I'm listening to music on wired headphones. Some of the most basic N900 functionality needs addressing before it can be considered "really good".

Email is still pretty sucky and quite horrible to use. RSS reader - LOL, same as it was on the 770! Ovi Store - geez, just as well there's only about 20 applications or it would be unusable with that UI. Ovi Maps - unusable.

The only decent shipping app on the N900 is the browser, and to those developers I take my hat off.

Sorry to harp on but Nokia seriously need to improve software quality fast if they're destined to be anything other than the provider of phones for the third world.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I'm not impressed.

Apple makes a nice statement about scaling *up* UI development with this, and the importance of adding new content streams to their platform strategy is definitely key. But, this could have been done better if leverged more like an MS Courier (dual screens, sized like the MB Air) or in the software (the 10/GUI or Mag+ approaches here work).

It makes sense for where they are targeting - don't get me wrong. But better could and should have been done. Maemo is positioned really well in light of this - Ovi Store issues notwithstanding.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I am impressed in one area. The UI is consistently good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I'm just amazed how bad the name iPad" is! Didn't they do their research

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs
I thought I remembered something of the sort! Thanks for finding it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think it's a brilliant appliance.

It's obviously not targeted to homebrew/open source developers crowd.

With the amount of content and integration work it's getting, I'm definitely getting one.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I don't think any of that has anything to do with Maemo still being far from finished or why it doesn't work the way the end user wants it to or expects it to.

Remember, Nokia have been beavering away on Maemo for 5+ years and many of the shipping apps still lack the most basic functionality, haven't been updated since the initial release in 2005 and/or lack sensible integration with the new phone functionality on the N900. Apple employ their own developers to create the best end user experience on their products, while Nokia outsource their development - it shows.
In this case the result is obnoxious. It will be a very ridicule object to carry around.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
With the size it has, I don't understand why it would be preferable to a netbook to begin with, nevermind the Apple vice-grip

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet