Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by MPW View Post
EC-9B-5B here in Germany.

in how many different manufactures does nokia produce the n900?

Would definitiv be a funny ap. But as the battery is poor, I've got BT disabled all the time. And your program works only when the bt is set to visible.

I think this is a waste of time, just gave my mac to support you anyway.

Bye
MPW
The app is definitely only for fun. I agree having BT on all the time is not good. I imagine this app just been used for fun, so it would only do device checks when you turn the BT on or when you open the app. It wouldn't do this all the time(cause your battery would die)

So I imagine it being used if you get on the train just to check for fun, or at a conference or a shopping mall, or pub.

It's just for a fun to be honest, and trying to illustrated another great example of how a normal Maemo user can think of something and then with the help of the community an Application is born :-)

My Blog

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
c0:38:f9 germany ^^

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
hi
bt and wifi: 34:7e:39
I'm in France.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
00:bd:3a here. am in canada but it's a model from uk i think (bought via expansys)

originally, this idea sprang from thing like proximity applications
seen at some conferences (you are next to someone interested in the same things as you, etc.)

yes, for fun. but also a neat proof of concept. hoping it can move forward (thx!)

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
No, if the phone is on discover mode, you can ask the SDP records without pairing.
But your idea requires a installation of a app to advertise the new service.
It's a good thing (for this idea at least) that the SDP records are visible.

I understand that it would require the installation of an app that would modify the SDP records. Having installed such an app (and enabled it as a contact method, ala the Skype profile) would indictate willingess to strike up a conversation with an otherwise unknown person.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by stobbsc View Post
The app is definitely only for fun. I agree having BT on all the time is not good. I imagine this app just been used for fun, so it would only do device checks when you turn the BT on or when you open the app. It wouldn't do this all the time(cause your battery would die)
Bluetooth can listen for other people without consuming that much power. Since transmitting takes more power, the idea of this application might have to move from constant search to "search when I tap this button" or "search every 5 minutes". The curious phone would thus be consuming the power, the open to contact phone only bluetooth standby levels.

HI All,

These are all the various N900 mac LAPs I've collected so far and I guess we can use these for the app to start with and add more if we need too:
34:7E:39
C0:38:F9
00:250
00:BD:3A
EC:9B:5B

I agree that the app shouldn't search all the time, but the you can do a manual search or that you can set it to search every 5-10 minutes or somthing. To be honest I'm happy with manual search to start out with.

now the big question. Who knows how to code for maemo?
I don't even though I am a coder, so would anyone be willing to help mok something up for us?

My Blog

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netehrlands
00:BD:3A located: NL
here too - héy, (the majority). We can start an 00:BD:3A club now!

got the following reply from the Nokia Forums

I'm not sure that checking the LAP code is going to work for trying to find N900. There is this list thelist (http://802.15ninja.net/bnapbnap/thelist.php) but it does not help much.

You could trying using SDP to check for the Bluetooth profile you want.
You could try this tool for checking the N900 SDP database.
ViewSDP (http://store.ovi.com/content/24022)
I'm not 100% sure what SDP is ?!?

My Blog

so is anyone interested in helping to build this?

My Blog