Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Yes, dear friends, the wait is over, this is the real deal, PyQt 4.7 is available for the masses !

This thread is meant for the N800, N810 and N900 (up to and including PR1.1.1 firmware), or simply put devices that ship with Qt4.5. Qt4.6 support (N900 from PR1.2 onwards) will have a different support thread.

• In Extras - available to ALL users and applications, not just bold people willing to enable extras-devel ! Finally, you can write a Qt based Python app and get it to be a proper Extras download !
  • Qt 4.5 AND Qt 4.6 - PyQt for maemo follows the Qt deployment roadmap (i.e. 4.5 support in Extras and 4.6 support in Extras-devel)
  • N800/N810/N900 support - yes, it's available and works on all Maemo devices except for the 770
  • Now with a proper demo package - no command line magic needed to start dabbling with PyQt - just download python2.5-qt4-doc from the application manager and you get a demo tour application plus all necessary modules and docs to start basic development
  • OpenGL ES support - unlike previous versions, this one sports QtOpenGL support (you might need additional GL packages !)
  • Synchronized with upstream 4.7 - whatever upstream implements, we get, too, which also means full compatibility with desktop PyQt applications
  • Smallest footprint - Uses the least amount of memory from all available Qt bindings
  • Easy upgrade path - almost completely API compatible with PySide - stuff you do in PyQt needs minimal effort to port to PySide should you decide to switch down the line

PyQt (obviously) needs Qt to work. While PyQt itself is optified, Nokia made the choice of putting Qt on the root partition, i.e. installing PyQt indirectly WILL take up about 10-15MB of root space if you do not already have the respective Qt modules installed.

There are two installable packages. For those who do not read package descriptions, here's the excerpt:
  • PyQt4 Full Install - This package contains the python extensions

You need to install this package explicitly ONLY if you wish
    to tinker with Python yourself.

Installing this package will install Python bindings for ALL
    available Qt modules, namely: QtAssistant, QtCore, QtDBus,
    QtDesiger, QtGui, QtHelp, QtNetwork, phonon, QtSql, QtSVG,
    QtScript, QtTest, QtWebkit, QtOpenGL, QtXML, QtXMLPatterns
  • PyQt4 Demo Python Qt bindings demos, examples and documentation

This package contains Python-specific documentation for PyQt4
    and the Qt example programs ported to Python. It provides a
    reasonable minimum set of modules and bindings to start PyQt
    development. Installing this package will install Python
    bindings for the QtCore, QtGUI, QtXML and QtHelp modules.

The two are independently installable, order of (un)installing does not matter. Grab it while it's hot and have some Python fun !

Original sources and (a lot more) documentation available at
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/intro
Attached Images

Last edited by chemist; 2010-04-29 at 10:07.

The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Fantastic! more sleepless nights to come... :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2010-01-31 at 16:04.

Is it optified?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
PyQt itself is (with all examples and docs), but Qt isn't - not much we can do about that, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
PyQt itself is (with all examples and docs), but Qt isn't - not much we can do about that, though.
Ok, I'm certainly not sounding ungrateful... This is fantastic news and I love PyQt . Thank you very much for porting this.

I just don't have a real N900 to check with.. and I know people have complained that PyQt bindings took up more rootfs space than the C++ QT libraries..

So I was curious if you managed to find a way to cure that or not.. or if it can't be because they are such system-centric libraries?

How can I get it?

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I just don't have a real N900 to check with.. and I know people have complained that PyQt bindings took up more rootfs space than the C++ QT libraries..

So I was curious if you managed to find a way to cure that or not.. or if it can't be because they are such system-centric libraries?
Yes, it was pretty bad at first and I didn't want to risk breaking other people's stuff by inventing my own optification schemes. Luckily, the PyMaemo team came up with a system-level solution to auto-optify all python libs - PyQt just harnesses this with a dependency.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I'm having troubles. In the SDK scratchbox I'm getting:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python2.5-qt4: Depends: python2.5-qt4-opengl (= 4.7-maemo2) but it is not going to be installed
Which seems confirmed by this.

But then, when trying to install my own package that only depends on python2.5-qt4-gui I get:

Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...aemo2_i386.deb Size mismatch
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...aemo2_i386.deb Size mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
After it goes through and (appears) to download everything. Not sure if this is something wrong with my SDK environment or what..

Odd.. worked (python2.5-qt4-gui) in the ARMEL scratchbox just not the i386 one.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-30 at 20:10.

The autobuilder got borked on the -maemo2 build for some reason (built it twice in a row resulting in md5/size mismatches and overwrites). I just promoted -maemo3 to testing which should be OK.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, pyqt, pyside, python, qt4