Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Alcanena / Portugal
Hi,

I just uploaded my first maemo package to extras-devel, its name is "qTranslate". It is a translation software based on Google Translate, quite similar to gTranslate), but based on the Qt framework.

It supports all Google Translate languages, bi-directional translations, clipboard operations and allows you to send the translated text as an e-mail.

Screenshots (main screen and menu):

The bugtracker is here:
https://bugs.maemo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=qTranslate

The .deb file is here:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/qtranslate/

And Mark Guim just posted a nice tutorial how to install .deb files on your N900, if you don't want to activate extras-devel:
http://thenokiablog.com/2010/01/28/h...00-x-terminal/

Have fun!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pbouda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
okey. What is different from this
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42677

.edit
oh I should first read post properly.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Piedras Blancas, Asturias, Spain
Great pbouda!
It seems that Copenhagen was worth it!

Greets from Spain!

Sí, fue definitivamente vale la pena! Saludos a España! :-)

Is gtranslate the first adware application for maemo???

I keep getting this pop-up every time I play with the app.
Attached Images

In fact, it is adware (btw, it's qTranslate; gTranslate is of course without ads). I included a link to my web application Tiddlers on Rails, when the text is send to the server.

Would be nice to have some feedback on this; I thought about developing more applications for Maemo, it would be much more interesting for me to include ads or sell it for a low price. Would you rather pay then have ads? Of course, I could not sell qTranslate as Google does not allow it.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pbouda View Post
In fact, it is adware (btw, it's qTranslate; gTranslate is of course without ads). I included a link to my web application Tiddlers on Rails, when the text is send to the server.

Would be nice to have some feedback on this; I thought about developing more applications for Maemo, it would be much more interesting for me to include ads or sell it for a low price. Would you rather pay then have ads? Of course, I could not sell qTranslate as Google does not allow it.
Eugh, I'd rather you just asked for donations within the "About" dialogue of the app or looked at my micro-donation idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I once tried that for a desktop (open source) software. I had several thousand downloads, but not a single donation. In my opinion, this is not the way to do it. Or does anyone have good experiences with donations?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pbouda View Post
I once tried that for a desktop (open source) software. I had several thousand downloads, but not a single donation. In my opinion, this is not the way to do it.
Pissing off your users with nagware's not a particularly good thing to do either, though.

Or does anyone have good experiences with donations?
It depends on your expectation. I've had good experience with them with web-based services.

Props to the dev for the application, but sorry. I've already removed it.

Like most people, adware bugs the hell out of me. If I like an application and I use it more than occasionally, then I'll buy it or track the developer down and offer a donation, if it's freeware or donationware.

Either make it payware or freeware. I understand your personal time went into writing/compiling this application, and I respect that. But if I have to see the adware (even if it's pointed to another domain you own, I'll just put up with a few extra clicks on translate.google.com.

And if you had several thousand downloads for an app, you should have realized that people might pay something for it, (even if .99 cents), and charged for it. Of course, I'm not trying to tell you how to make some extra cash... the capitalist in me just popped out for a second.

Maybe you should look at other software companies' business models. Most have one or more free "little" apps, and then charge for their bigger, more involved apps. Believe it or not, it builds customer loyalty, and your customers will remember that you gave them a free app to do something "small". As such, they be more likely to purchase an app they need (and that you may have) from you.

Allow me to give you a good example. A developer here made a daemon for me that plays a sound when the screen comes on, and another when it goes off. I insisted that I pay for his time, but he would have none of it. Because of that, I'm talking to him about writing a much more complex app that I can use for one of my businesses. If the man charges me 2000 dollars for it, so be it. I'm sure it probably took him 30 minutes to write the code for the original app, but that's not the point. The point is, he didn't charge me anything, nor did he make it "donationware" or "adware". He wrote it, tested it, and then sent it to me free of charge.

Again, props on the app, shame on you for making it adware.

Last edited by That One Guy; 2010-02-02 at 23:05.