Notices

It would be nice to have a .deb for all to make the install Navit simple

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
There is a deb in testing but this has garmin-maps disabled, thats why some people compile there own version. Others help to improve navit on N900.
So for a user there is already a deb, but the hard stuff is to set-up the configuration file.

Bye

Thorsten

Originally Posted by schnebeck View Post
There is a deb in testing but this has garmin-maps disabled, thats why some people compile there own version. Others help to improve navit on N900.
So for a user there is already a deb, but the hard stuff is to set-up the configuration file.

Bye

Thorsten
I'm sorry, I mean a .deb with all things configured/compiled (a standard conf [fonts, icons, touch oriented, etc]) and with libgarmin working
I think that most people want a good and already configured navigator and only after this, the possibility to configure it with own preferences (a lot of people don't know that it is possible... so, IMHO, the better way is to distribuite it with a starting good configuration
Less configurations = better happyness

Hello,

I didn't have time enough to test navit by myself but I have read that maps are based on SVG data. Wouldn't it be possible to use OVI maps svg data to get worldwide map coverage?
It could be a good free (as money) alternative to garmin maps until OSM data is more complete.
I will try to check this if I've got some free time.

Thanks for your posts.

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
Indeed, a good deb file with the complicated settings included would awesome!
Some of us just don't have the knowledge or time to go through those advanced settings.

Thanx for all the effort that has been put here for us!

Originally Posted by onil View Post
Hello,

I didn't have time enough to test navit by myself but I have read that maps are based on SVG data. Wouldn't it be possible to use OVI maps svg data to get worldwide map coverage?
It could be a good free (as money) alternative to garmin maps until OSM data is more complete.
I will try to check this if I've got some free time.

Thanks for your posts.
In my hometown OSM is more up-to-date than Ovi maps. My "home street" (if this word exsists) is missing both in OSM and OVI maps but the street map of OVI maps is at least 8-12 month old, as a new bypass road is not shown. Same goes for google maps but they have at least my home street.

I read in the wiki that libgarmin can only handle unencrypted maps. So many open garmin maps are converted from OSM or contain only POI data.

http://gpsmapsearch.com
finds a typical result like:
http://rodrigo.gnome-db.org/gps/

Bye

Thorsten

Just draw your "home street" in OSM and use it.

Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
Just draw your "home street" in OSM and use it.
Do you know a free map that I am allowed to redraw?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Do you know a free map that I am allowed to redraw?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
you can redraw (edit maps).

http://www.waze.com/homepage/
you can edit maps but no client for n900 (yet)

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan

Bye

Thorsten
Yes. libgarmin was easy to compile and create a .deb for arm, but compile Navit for arm is taking some time for me. I am having some dificulties with automake to create the Makefile.in. Working on it.

Trek1701

The Following User Says Thank You to Trek1701 For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap