Notices

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
hi henning,
backup, export and import (i opened and edited the file with abiword on the n810) all seem to work. i wonder why you decided that importing any file would overwrite the complete data base?
Mainly, overwriting the database was what I could implement on a Sunday afternoon . I guess the alternative would be to somehow merge the encrypted database with the import file, which raises the question about duplicate entries. Possible ways of handling this are:
  • If entries with the same name exist in the database and the import file, the database entry gets overwritten (easy to implement)
  • The system maintains a "last time modified" record with each entry, and the one with the latest timestamp wins (more effort, necessitates somehow maintaining this information in the import file)
  • The tool explicitly asks the user what to do (would make importing potentially tedious)

To set your expectations, I'll be traveling over the holidays and probably won't be to do much work on TrustMe before January ...

Henning

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by henningspruth View Post
However, I'm not sure if the "copy username-TAB-password" would work. I tried doning this on a desktop machine, and the sequence would always end up being pasted into the username field. Can you point me to a site where this actually would work?

Henning
Do you have a Windows machine anywhere? If yes, I'll send you a freeware copy of TypeItIn which does exactly what I'm asking about. (It's not freeware now, but I have an early freeware version.) (I also have the paid-for more-advanced version, but I try to respect his license.)

In GMail, for example, I just put the cursor in the Username field, click the "button" in TypeItIn, and it fills in the Username, tabs to the Password field, enters the password, tabs to the Sign-in button, and clicks it.

But I guess that's not just a Copy-and-Paste function: when I copy from Word and Paste into GMail, it just puts a space between my Username and Password and keeps the entire entry in the Username Field. So I guess TypeItIn is using a macro and what I asked for can't be done in TrustMe.

Thank you for having given the idea a try!

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-12-14 at 17:04.

Originally Posted by henningspruth View Post
I think a feature to not show the passwords would be doable (e.g., a checkbutton next to the password field to control whether it's displayed).
Thanks! Great!

henning, when/if you get back to playing with trustme, something to consider might be adding a blank text field for a note to each entry. i've already done some very creative pasting into the currently available fields, but things like an expiration date or an email adress would be nice to have, sometimes, in addtion to password and username.
meanwhile happy holidays and a great new year to you and all.

Wes,

There already is a multi-line info field - the area below the Category pulldown is editable.

This is visible when running TrustMe standalone on the desktop, since the different GTK theming makes the info field stand out, but not on Maemo. I'll fix this GUI issue soon, but in the meantime could you check whether the current info field functionality is what you need?

Henning

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to henningspruth For This Useful Post:
oh wow, i never tried to enter text there. this is just what i was hoping for. perfect!
ps: found a little typo on the login screen: "Please specify a non - empyt password"

Last edited by wesgreen; 2009-12-20 at 14:37.

henningspruth, thanks again for Trustme. I'm liking it.

What got changed in version 0.6? (Sorry, I'm the kind of guy who, when they demolish one building and erect another, can't remember what used to be there.)

Version 0.6 fixes a GUI bug: when the info field had more than a few lines, it covered the commit and cancel buttons.

This is fixed by adding a scrollbar to the info field. There still are some weird visual interactions between the text entry and the buttons, but at least the GUI remains usable.

There are no changes to the program logic.

Henning

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to henningspruth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
could import keepass databasefiles?
could be compatible with keepass?

Ithink it will be a very good feature because keepass is the best multiplatform password manager however it isn't available for maemo diablo *

There is an old keepassX port which requires Qt, and isn't hildonized, therefore it isn't usable in the practise

@daperezg: I can look into it ... the http://keepass.info web site does not have a detailed specification of the file format, and I'd have to check if the GNU encryption libraries I'm using support the algorithms used by keepass.

Henning