Notices

Sorry if the title sounds misleading, but I was just wondering if anyones got any news about EA mobile planning to make (port some iphone) games for the N900?

Maybe we'll start seeing cool games such as asphalt 5, sims 3, GTA, NFS shift and such on the n900.....maybe
I'm not saying the that emulators aren't enough, its just that it would be mega super awesome pwnsome to see EA games supporting the n900

I see we've already attracted one game company

Somehow I doubt it.
Not sure why, just something tells me:
A.- EA don't make great games.
B. - Apple will "persuade" them not to.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
EA Make games on every OS platform known to man kind, It's only a matter of time before we see games from them on maemo now its getting popular, although i have a feeling most big publishers will wait and target Maemo 6

Change the title to "is it possible that EA games might come to the N900?". I don't know why you would name the title that, then say "I'm sorry if its misleading!" Did you do it to get as many thread views as you could?

To answer your question, no. There simply are not enough of us to make it worth it financially to them.

Don't bother with the "But but.. I'd buy their games!" 500 of us are nothing compared to the millions of kids with their mom's credit cards that are on the Apple App store every day

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lazarpandar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No, EA will not be supporting Maemo, at least not now. No, Apple isn't paying them to stay exclusive either.

The only realistic way you're going to get game developers coming to your platform is if you do the following:

a) Easy to use SDK
b) Popular game engines such as Unity3D ported
c) Userbase to support the work
d) Piracy protection (DRM)

And right now, we have none of those. Maemo 6 is a far more realistic target for getting game companies on board - not just simply two guys in Sweden making flash games (no offense).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
thx for the replies, however i just have one more questions. Has EA ever made games for any previous maemo phone like the n800 and n810? Just need an idea of the chances the n900 has in attracting EA developers....

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
thx for the replies, however i just have one more questions. Has EA ever made games for any previous maemo phone like the n800 and n810? Just need an idea of the chances the n900 has in attracting EA developers....
Firstly, the N900 is the first Maemo device with Cellular capabilities, prior devices were tablets with WiFi (or WiMax) only.

Secondly, no, there were no commercial games as such available to the prior tablets (unless someone can enlighten me?). The graphics were not hardware accelerated even on the N810 so the N900 has been the first really viable platform for this type of software.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
No, EA will not be supporting Maemo, at least not now. No, Apple isn't paying them to stay exclusive either.

The only realistic way you're going to get game developers coming to your platform is if you do the following:

a) Easy to use SDK
b) Popular game engines such as Unity3D ported
c) Userbase to support the work
d) Piracy protection (DRM)

And right now, we have none of those. Maemo 6 is a far more realistic target for getting game companies on board - not just simply two guys in Sweden making flash games (no offense).
i thought stuff bought from the Ovi store was protected, and that the DRM necessary was part of the 1.1 update?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
i thought stuff bought from the Ovi store was protected, and that the DRM necessary was part of the 1.1 update?
I don't know why they can't 'DRM' software with licence keys on the N900. It would be really easy to maintain because it's on a device that has 100% internet connectivity. There's no excuse not to be able to go online and activate your copy, and the software could check up on you at set intervals.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
I don't know why they can't 'DRM' software with licence keys on the N900. It would be really easy to maintain because it's on a device that has 100% internet connectivity. There's no excuse not to be able to go online and activate your copy, and the software could check up on you at set intervals.
i don't have 100% internet connectivity, and i would never buy a product that needed repeated activation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REMFwhoopitydo For This Useful Post: