Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New York, NY, USA
It would be nice to have a general-purpose hook on caller ID, so that any program or script could be run when the caller number is obtained.

The Following User Says Thank You to cowb0y For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cowb0y View Post
It would be nice to have a general-purpose hook on caller ID, so that any program or script could be run when the caller number is obtained.
Yeah, then customized ringtones and even twitter logs could occur.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by braincreation View Post
Yeah, then customized ringtones and even twitter logs could occur.
I want to be able to ****ing assign different ringtone's for different contacts, this is ****ing ********.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
No. Basically, none of the phone features you're used to from S60 phones are there. You have simple voice calls and text messages. That's it. Pretty much what the Nokia 1200 does for €25,-.

Don't think of it as a smartphone. Think of it as the mini version of a tablet that got basic telephony features because 3G data was already built in.
Are you serious??? Its sold as a smart phone (even on Nokias own site).
I wish you people would stop accepting these and many more shortcomings and use the strength of numbers on these forums to proactively encourage Nokia to make the changes we need instead of accepting its a half baked prototype for future phones/devices (which btw its NOT sold as - unlike some seem to suggest on here).
Do you just accept problems/faults in everything you buy??
Its hardly suprising there are so many negative posts.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
Do you just accept problems/faults in everything you buy??
Its hardly suprising there are so many negative posts.
Yes, I accept them, because for me the N900 is nothing but a (highly addictive) toy I love to play around with at home.

I do not use it as a phone. I carry a S60 device with me that has everything I need.

Last edited by benny1967; 2010-02-03 at 21:16.

Just a notice for those that would like this feature - I have started working on it, but there are a couple blockers - one which I made an own thread for: here

Maybe some of you can be of help and we can get this nice feature to work on our devices!

Last edited by pillar; 2010-02-25 at 14:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pillar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I pushed flite to extras-devel some time ago, so it should be reasonably straight-forward to implement once we know how to use/about the phone API.
First, thanks for doing this! But I have an question. Does it work on your N900? I installed the flite and libflite packages for use with maemo-mapper, and when text is played via the internal player it sounds very off. Almost like it's sped up about 20x. If I output to wave (or standard out) and use play-sound or media player to play the stream/file, it works fine.

Is there a setting maybe that didn't make it into the package?

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Try adding the option

--seti sample_rate=48000

(or 44100) to the flite command line.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
I just posted a simple python daemon (and little gui) to extras-devel named eSpeakCaller. It just basicly runs eSpeak when somebody calls.

Debian installer should also make necessary changes to xpolicy.conf. (add [stream] exe = espeak group = ringtone)

At least works for me

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Arto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arto View Post
I just posted a simple python daemon (and little gui) to extras-devel named eSpeakCaller. It just basicly runs eSpeak when somebody calls.

Debian installer should also make necessary changes to xpolicy.conf. (add [stream] exe = espeak group = ringtone)

At least works for me
Hello Arto!

Im wondering if theres any chance for me to get the sourcecode of the application?

I am thinking about modifying it to make it work with a phonedirectory website.

Tags
espeakcaller