Notices

Excellent work, I am finding FeedingIt very helpful and convenient.

I've been using it for a while now and went through an update or two (can't really remember). However, today, it refused to start up. FeedingIt would load up but that's it. I get a black screen (sometimes with a "Loading" mesage) and "FeedingIt" on top with the circular animated loading symbol. Nothing else.

Any ideas? Would I need to un/install it? Thank you and keep up the great work.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
@omironia: sorry about that, it's somewhat of a know issue that can happen when a feed is deleted. Next version (unavailable yet) handles it much better.
Quick fix is to open X-terminal and run:
mv /home/user/.feeding/feeds.pickle /home/user
That will reset your list of feeds though . If you have a long list of feeds you'd rather not have to re-import, I can probably fix it manually if you send me the feeds.pickle file.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
@omironia: sorry about that, it's somewhat of a know issue that can happen when a feed is deleted. Next version (unavailable yet) handles it much better.
Quick fix is to open X-terminal and run:
mv /home/user/.feeding/feeds.pickle /home/user
That will reset your list of feeds though . If you have a long list of feeds you'd rather not have to re-import, I can probably fix it manually if you send me the feeds.pickle file.
THANK YOU for the quick reply!

Retaining the list of feeds is not of high importance at the moment. I will have to follow your instructions as I can't live without my RSS feeds However, is there a problem importing my feeds especially considering I used FeedingIt to export them into the memory card?

Thanks again.

Suggestion: Would it be feasible to add folders and/or separators to isolate certain feeds?

The Following User Says Thank You to omironia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
@ofels: external browser does mean MicroB. I don't think there is a default browser setting in Maemo that I can use (like you can find on a desktop OS).
When the browser-switchboard is used it changes the default browser to Mozilla Fennec and all further clicks on bookmarks as well as opening links from Mauku are opened in the Mozilla browser. So there must be a mechanism to access the default browser. The only app which actually does not do this is FeedingIt

The Following User Says Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by omironia View Post
However, is there a problem importing my feeds especially considering I used FeedingIt to export them into the memory card?
There is one known issue with some feeds with & in the url. Open up the .opml file in a file editor, and change all the "&" symbols into "&" without the quotes.

@ofels: thanks, there must be something i'm missing, i'll try to find some more docs into that.

Hmm, I think the feedingit being stuck in a loop (endlessly loading) has to do with it not being able to recover from an ungraceful exit (e.g. feedingit is not responding).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

feeding it beats the default rss reader by a mile. it's not as data hungry as the built in one and it downloads the whole article.

i just wish it's a bit more of like the spb news for winmo where you can download articles individually and delete or save...

Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
@ofels: thanks, there must be something i'm missing, i'll try to find some more docs into that.
As a hint: I checked the browser-switchboard files. It installs some dbus configuration files which the system uses. I don't have it at hand right now so I can not give you the exact details at the moment, sorry but if you take a look at that package it should be fairly easy to figure out which are relevant.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by ofels View Post
So there must be a mechanism to access the default browser.
No. Apps hardcode the usage of the default browser by using the default browser's D-Bus interfaces. browser-switchboard "pretends" (by changing the browser's D-Bus service file to point to D-Bus switchboard, instead) to be the default browser so that it can pass any links passed to whatever browser you have chosen for it to open.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
No. Apps hardcode the usage of the default browser by using the default browser's D-Bus interfaces. browser-switchboard "pretends" (by changing the browser's D-Bus service file to point to D-Bus switchboard, instead) to be the default browser so that it can pass any links passed to whatever browser you have chosen for it to open.
Thanks for pointing this out. However FeedingIt seems to use a different mechanism as it does not work with fennec through the switchboard while others do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ofels For This Useful Post: