Posts: 90 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney Australia
So I have been battling with my battery time since getting my N900 in december and I tried everything mentioned on these forums:

1. Removed all widgets - hardly any difference.
2. Disabled skype - small difference.
3. Switched from 3G to GSM - small difference but still no more than 12 hours from the phone.
4. Switched wifi to 10mW - cant say there was much improvement.
5. Enabled the smartreflex power savings - again not all that noticable.

No matter what I did I found that I woke up with a full charge and by 7pm that evening it was time to start charging again, and this was with maybe one or two calls of 10 min for the day.

This week I finally found the major problem - I write this in the hope that it may help others in the same boat.

As well as the battery problem I have been trying to track down why I occasionally pull my phone out of my pouch to find the desktop in edit mode with shortcuts missing, or some arbitrary application running etc...

Turns out the two problems are related - my pouch has a magnetic clasp which is switching the magnetic switches in the phone and enabling the screen pretty much the whole time I have it in there (which is all day at work). I switched to no pouch and now not only does my desktop remain intact but by the evening I am now only at 50% charge.

A simple act of buying a noreve pouch has improved my opinion of this phone massively.

To those with stubborn battery problems - do you use a pouch with a magnetic clasp?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to atunguyd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Yet another reason it should come with a hard case.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

I use a pouch with a magnetic clasp and don't have the problem. However, I always put the phone in the pouch with the screen turned toward my body (away from the magnetic closure). This seems to solve the problem, at least for me. It may vary depending on where the magnets are positioned and how strong the magnets are.

The perfect thread I have been looking for. The battery drain is making the phone unusable for me. How did you change the wifi to lower power? If I get rid of the widgets, then whats the real purpose of them

1. turned off gps
2. turned off wifi and enable only when needed
3. Changed weather update to once a day
4. Changed mail sync to once in few hours
5. Send ~ 10 sms/day
6. Call for about 10 mins/day
7. Backlight at level 1

Is there anything else I can do? TIA!

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by FranzDages View Post
I use a pouch with a magnetic clasp and don't have the problem. However, I always put the phone in the pouch with the screen turned toward my body (away from the magnetic closure). This seems to solve the problem, at least for me. It may vary depending on where the magnets are positioned and how strong the magnets are.
I do the same. I use a Krusell leather case and the official Blackberry Bold case with rotateable belt clip. I too have the phone facing inside, away from the flap.

I have similar battery problem but I don't even use a pouch. I put it in my shirt pocket.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by azz View Post
I have similar battery problem but I don't even use a pouch. I put it in my shirt pocket.
Is your breast pierced with a magnetic ring?

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

On the lines of battery, what chargers do you folks use? I used a usb wall charger (with N900 data cable, 5V DC @ 1000mA). Surprisingly the phone ran out of juice while I was charging and listening to music.

Tags
n900 needs hard case