Active Topics

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
I imagine iPhone will introduce a lot of slick UI concepts to sex up what is still basically a swiss army phone. Not that that's a bad thing, but in MANY apps there's no substitute for pixel count. And the N800 wins by a factor of 2.5 on that front. Let's learn from what Apple does well, but don't despair, they're not even close to the only game in town.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
TA-t3, you're right... I don't think they really compare.

I use my N800 to browse, play video (which needs conversion anyway), and some ScummVM. The email sucks terribly, and there is no decent PIM solutions.

I won't make the assumption that the iPhone browsing experience is better or equivalent to the N800 till I have my hands on it. Once I see it with my own eyes, I'll make the decision to stick around with Nokia or not.

I imagine the Opera 9 and Skype upgrades will keep it ahead of the iPhone, but everything else seems to be lacking... We'll see at launch!
I've had the N800 for only 4 days, but I can't wait to return it and get the iPhone. Yes, I am going to hold on to it until June 29th, then take it back to Nokia because the connectivity SUCKS...for me anyway. And there's NO solid support. Nokia bounces me to AT&T who bounces me to HTC...arrgh.

When it connects, it's so fun, but seriously when it does not...it's useless. An Internet tablet that does not connect to the Internet is a...$400 tablet. No thanks.

My N800 connects to my personal wi-fi connection at home. But at home I have a laptop. At work where I REALLY want to use it via my cell connection, it doesn't connect (Cingular AT&T 8525). Thus I have to sit in a hot spot. I can't use it on the go as advertised.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
I've had the N800 for only 4 days, but I can't wait to return it and get the iPhone. Yes, I am going to hold on to it until June 29th, then take it back to Nokia because the connectivity SUCKS...for me anyway. And there's NO solid support. Nokia bounces me to AT&T who bounces me to HTC...arrgh.

When it connects, it's so fun, but seriously when it does not...it's useless. An Internet tablet that does not connect to the Internet is a...$400 tablet. No thanks.

My N800 connects to my personal wi-fi connection at home. But at home I have a laptop. At work where I REALLY want to use it via my cell connection, it doesn't connect (Cingular AT&T 8525). Thus I have to sit in a hot spot. I can't use it on the go as advertised.
Why are you being bounced to AT&T or HTC for a problem with your N800? That's bizarre... are you sure you're getting through to the right people at Nokia or maybe it's one of their third-party support outfits who think you have a phone rather than a tablet.

As for support... to be honest, this is it (this forum, or there is also the "users" mailing list but that isn't as accessible as a forum). The usual solution to problems that can't be solved within a short while is to take the N800 back and get a replacement, and if it's still a problem them maybe it's not for you.

As for your Cingular problem - try reading this thread and see if it fixes your cellular connectivity problem. There is a misconfiguration in the current firmware which is very easy to fix.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Its actually 320x480, which isnt too bad since they are using scaling to fit it on the screen.
Well, guess it all depends also on the browser you're using. I was used to surf with Netfront 3.1 on my Sony Th55 which is 320x480 like the iPhone, and (tought to be) happy with that.

Now I know how it su##s to browse the Internet on such a low resolution, you always have to refit the pages or (if you're lucky to have something like Netfront that can show up pages in their full size)to scroll them right - left.

I wouldn't go back for any reason (tough the other uses of the Sony which I still have are great, like PIM and other PalmOS programs)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Why are you being bounced to AT&T or HTC for a problem with your N800? That's bizarre... are you sure you're getting through to the right people at Nokia or maybe it's one of their third-party support outfits who think you have a phone rather than a tablet.

As for support... to be honest, this is it (this forum, or there is also the "users" mailing list but that isn't as accessible as a forum). The usual solution to problems that can't be solved within a short while is to take the N800 back and get a replacement, and if it's still a problem them maybe it's not for you.

As for your Cingular problem - try reading this thread and see if it fixes your cellular connectivity problem. There is a misconfiguration in the current firmware which is very easy to fix.

Thanks. I'll give the link you provided a try. I'm not keeping it after the 30 day trial anyway.

Re. being bounced around, that's related to settings. nokia couldn't resolve the connectivity issue with my phone, so they sent me to the carrier. AT&T tried to help me configure the settings. When that didn't work, they sent me to HTC, the phone's manufacturer.

You forget that proper scaling can hide the resolution deficit. I'm willing to bet browsing will be easier on the iphone. Nokia needs tap zooms and rubber scrolling badly.

You forget that proper scaling can hide the resolution deficit. I'm willing to bet browsing will be easier on the iphone. Nokia needs tap zooms and rubber scrolling badly.
Exactly. I usually scroll up and down a page using the hardware keys and the slight delay and minor jumps are annoying.

The iPhone does very much shine the light on the N800, and boy is it a deer caught in the headlights. Looking at the amateurish, butt-ugly Hildon with its super-inconsistent UI, arrows, font use etc, not to mention the slowness and apparently hard-coded everything (why is it impossible to do such a basic thing as rotate the screen... forget about rotating it automatically, you can't even do it with a button press?) and then the slowness... (less so on the N800, but it's still crud.)

Assuming those demo videos and Steve Jobs demos etc aren't rigged, and everything actually flows and looks that nice, and is as super-consistent and well thought out navigation-wise... well then hopefully other manufacturers will wake up and smell the coffee.

Nokia is guilty of making slow and nasty UI's for a long time now. The Symbian "normal" phones are unacceptably slow, it sometimes takes second just to draw a few frickin icons etc, and you go to do something and hit a button, then wait and when nothing happens you push again - and then suddenly both keypresses register.

Since when is that ok? I mean this is 2007 for heavens sake, you'd think it was possible to design slick, fast and seamlessly good looking interfaces, so kudos to Apple for finally getting us moving in that direction.

The N800 is only good for one reason... no, well, two - the screen resolution and Opera. The rest, with Hildon and all that other crud, sucks but Opera carries the entire device. Even that is getting shaky because Nokia won't get that upgraded to version 9, and version 8 of Opera while great just isn't compatible enough with the latest ajaxified web pages.

Polish. That's essentially the thing with (what I've seen so far of) the iPhone. They didn't just slap something together like Nokia did and get it done in a half-assed way, they spent years creating something that is a thing of beauty - and I'm talking more about the software/ui than the hardware, which is also better looking than Nokias...

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on an iPhone.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I have to agree about the lack of polish - there have now been 7 releases of Internet Tablet OS firmware and if the polish doesn't start appearing real soon now the Nokia Internet Tablets will be eclipsed by similar products where attention has been paid to the detail.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by bcvthul View Post
http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

(it looks too good to be true)

This belongs in competitors/off topic section of forum.