Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rickrvo View Post
Rob1n, I've installed storage usage app but I still don't know how to see which apps are on rootfs.. :/
just look at the output of df before and after installation and you'll see how much each app takes space from rootfs.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by rickrvo View Post
Rob1n, I've installed storage usage app but I still don't know how to see which apps are on rootfs.. :/
Run storage usage and tap on the title bar. From the popup menu, select "Scan Packages". After it's completed scanning, each application will have a small bar behind it - a green bar indicates optified, whereas a brown/red bar indicates that it uses rootfs space.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
hi please help, i canīt anything my rootfs is complete FULL !

i check with df-mh

after du -smh *

i saw that /usr is the directorie with most used space on rootfs (338mb but rootfs has only comlpete 227?)

what can i do?

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Run storage usage and tap on the title bar. From the popup menu, select "Scan Packages". After it's completed scanning, each application will have a small bar behind it - a green bar indicates optified, whereas a brown/red bar indicates that it uses rootfs space.
I believe that Storage Usage incorrectly marks some optified packages as non optified. For example python2 and openttd. You can check this by trying to go to the path shown in Storage Usage with X Terminal. If it changed to /home/opt/something, then you know that it is optified.

Originally Posted by casinho23 View Post
hi please help, i canīt anything my rootfs is complete FULL !

i check with df-mh

after du -smh *

i saw that /usr is the directorie with most used space on rootfs (338mb but rootfs has only comlpete 227?)

what can i do?
rootfs is a compressed file system, so that's probably why you're seeing more space used than there is available.

If you can get into App manager, then disable all the repositories - that'll free up a chunk of space. Otherwise, if you have rootsh installed, you can run (in X Terminal):
Code:
sudo gainroot
rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*.*
After that you'll need to uninstall any non-optified packages you've installed from extras-devel or extras-testing. Storage Usage can help you find these - if you've got it installed. If not, you can try using the perl scripts I posted here (or any of those others have posted).

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I believe that Storage Usage incorrectly marks some optified packages as non optified. For example python2 and openttd. You can check this by trying to go to the path shown in Storage Usage with X Terminal. If it changed to /home/opt/something, then you know that it is optified.
I'd guess it flags any package which uses more than X amount of rootfs (python2 has the main python library on rootfs, taking up over a meg), for some value of X. It's not entirely correct though, as it flags the other python libraries as well, but they're actually bind mounted from within /opt.

I'd guess it flags any package which uses more than X amount of rootfs (python2 has the main python library on rootfs, taking up over a meg), for some value of X. It's not entirely correct though, as it flags the other python libraries as well, but they're actually bind mounted from within /opt.
What about OpenTTD then? I think it should be now fully optified, yet according to Storage Usage it is not. Looking at the latest two comments here, it seems that it's a known issue.

I hope it will be fixed soon as this is rather useful app.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
No, it doesn't. Python installs into /usr but uses bind mounts to actually expose /opt/pymaemo into the rootfs (rather than symlinks).

Any piece of software which claims to show whether a package is optified needs to be aware of pymaemo-optify and what it does.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-02-05 at 13:02. Reason: BBCode

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
No, it doesn't. Python installs into /usr but uses bind mounts to actually expose /opt/pymaemo into the rootfs (rather than symlinks).

Any piece of software which claims to show whether a package is optified needs to be aware of pymaemo-optify and what it does.
That's what I said, isn't it?

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Erlangen
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This happens most probably because you are installing applications from extras-devel that haven't gone through the process of using the internal memory card to install files.

If you stick to Nokia and Extras repositories then you will get software that has gone through a QA check testing (among other things) that the files installed take as little as possible from the root partition.

I believe we need a explanatory wiki page somewhere to point users in the same situation because the questions is coming quite often. Please don't install software from extras-devel unless you know what you are doing.

See the technical explanation at http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...opt_and_MyDocs

PS: can you please share the thicker apps you had installed to see where we should put our attention first? Feel free filing bugs asking them to use /opt and MyDocs as much as possible as explained in the link above.
If this would be true I'd be happy, however it seems not to entirely be. If I look e.g. at the installed themse hildon-theme-alpha and hildon-theme-beta I can't see much optifications. 14mb in /usr/share is quite a lot considering the overall root size.

For testing I currently moved /usr/share to /home/opt and linked it back to /usr, this way i can test more applications without running out of space in /. Not sure if this is the best approach to work around the limited space.

Does a debian package provide not only the file list but also sizes of the files inside by any chance? then a check would be possible before actually installing a package that tells the user if it might fill up /. something like
"This package will use
12mb in opt partition
34kb in root partition"
That would be way more helpful than just to know the overall required disk space.