Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
I don't think any person would be that sorry for buying N900 to state it here, because the phone is top of the line with its processor, memory, OS.
I want to buy one N900 if the price would drop 100$ in 1-2 months or I might go for the Maemo 6 device if it will be released in the summer and not later.
The only thing I don't like is the "optify" procedure for the application, and the need to do extra steps besides download and install when getting a new application. If the device wants to be popular, they have to renounce on the Linux way of seeing things, should be just applications that install nice and firmware that install OTA without any complications.
I sincerely doubt that they'll "renounce on the Linux way of seeing things" since that's the whole point of maemo. They'd lose all their existing userbase and developers in one fell swoop.

The maemo 6 device is scheduled for the second half of the year, so it won't be the summer. And given Nokia's track record on dates and deadlines. my guess is November/December again.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Nope, honestly I think the device is re-Great!

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
I just had a discussion including an iPhan boy praising his limited device. Another person got into the thread and asked me if I had tested shirc on my N900. So I downloaded it, installed it, ran it and it all worked fine without any hazzle at all (although only me was logged in on my N900, so the chatting was somewhat boring).

Now waiting for the iPhan boy to do the same...

Originally Posted by daddeddad View Post
No. Well I've could have gotten myself about 50 bottles of decent wine. But now I can listen to grooveshark from my car.

The placement of audio- and usbplug annoys me. But ... right now this is the best phone for my current needs.

Why would you buy a phone that doesn't fit your needs?
Hi

i prefer tv243.com for online radio.
it shuffles Music Videos, not only the songs

Originally Posted by Palleman View Post
I just had a discussion including an iPhan boy praising his limited device. Another person got into the thread and asked me if I had tested shirc on my N900. So I downloaded it, installed it, ran it and it all worked fine without any hazzle at all (although only me was logged in on my N900, so the chatting was somewhat boring).

Now waiting for the iPhan boy to do the same...
Ask the iPhan boy to do what I did with my N900 with multitasking (look at my signature), I'm sure he can't...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Thats it! View Post
DOH! Don't let that hear Nokia!
What sound does Nokia make anyway, and how would the price hear it, exactly? XP
The only thing I don't like is the "optify" procedure for the application, and the need to do extra steps besides download and install when getting a new application. If the device wants to be popular, they have to renounce on the Linux way of seeing things, should be just applications that install nice and firmware that install OTA without any complications.
Optification is unfortunate, although that's been well discussed on both sides, so I won't continue that here. I'm not sure what you mean by "extra steps", though. Sure, the App Manager isn't exactly the most streamlined package manager I've seen on Linux, but it generally does the job; I'd like to see some big improvements, but it doesn't need to be taken out and shot. Also, "the Linux way of seeing [doing?] things" doesn't imply installation and upgrade issues. In fact, the "Linux way" generally works pretty well. The actual implementations, of course, can vary, as can the Quality Control processes, but I would argue that the repository/package model is in some ways superior to others. If you have legitimate complaints about package QA, missing features/usability issues, etc., then by all means file them in the bugtracker or Brainstorm. Please don't just make generalizations on the forum, though.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
"Honestly do you regreat spending all that money on the N900?"

I would spend the money again if necessary.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I thought of buying another yesterday. Luckily reasoned before acting -what the hell would I have done with another?!?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Optification is unfortunate, although that's been well discussed on both sides, so I won't continue that here. I'm not sure what you mean by "extra steps", though. Sure, the App Manager isn't exactly the most streamlined package manager I've seen on Linux, but it generally does the job; I'd like to see some big improvements, but it doesn't need to be taken out and shot.
Will be the ''optification'' still around in Maemo 6 or it can be avoided somehow?

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Also, "the Linux way of seeing [doing?] things" doesn't imply installation and upgrade issues. In fact, the "Linux way" generally works pretty well. The actual implementations, of course, can vary, as can the Quality Control processes, but I would argue that the repository/package model is in some ways superior to others.
why the repository/ package model gives any advantages to developers or end-users?

Will be the ''optification'' still around in Maemo 6 or it can be avoided somehow?
Considering that the chips used for the root partition are only now crossing 1GB, it will likely still be done if you want a large number of applications on your device. No other phone does what the N900 does, and Android has to be rooted before you can run apps from the SD card (which is essentially optification.)

why the repository/ package model gives any advantages to developers or end-users?
It lets you one-source all applications and lets you maintain a cleaner, easier to update system. Dependencies and conflicts become easier to manage and avoid, allowing Nokia to do the SSU push of PR1.1 without forcing everyone to do a full reflash.

Package management is a great thing, it's only unusual or of questionable value to those whom have never used a system based around it.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post: