Notices

Closed Thread
How comes this app isn't out of the dev area yet? Are there no plans to get it into testing and then live (what's the right terminology for maemo?)?

Will be even better with automatic MMS APN detection/use. Will that also work for incoming MMS messages? (My understanding is that if a MMS is received then you need to change connection to MMS APN before you can open/retrieve it).

Originally Posted by frals View Post
Needs to be accessed through the terminal: cat /tmp/fmms.log, use hardware volume buttons to zoom in and out to fit more on screen for copying and pasting
Hi frals, I have sent the log to your email address. The content of the log is too log for a PM.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by norstadt View Post
How comes this app isn't out of the dev area yet? Are there no plans to get it into testing and then live (what's the right terminology for maemo?)?

Will be even better with automatic MMS APN detection/use. Will that also work for incoming MMS messages? (My understanding is that if a MMS is received then you need to change connection to MMS APN before you can open/retrieve it).
Because it's far from end-user ready, simple as that I'll promote it to -testing as soon as I consider it ready for endusers, I promise

The plan is for automatic setup of all the settings as well as setting up the connection when sending and receiving

@cloris: You got mail

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2010-02-05 at 07:48.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
I mean Nokia did intend for the N900 to eventually be an end user device right? Or am I wrong and they only wanted it for geeks?
Here's the golden advice for you (for free): get yourself and your wife an iPhone. Period.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
So yeah, I spent today with the _awesome_ people at Maemo and got more then a few pointers - basically I got answers to everything I wanted to ask about.
(...)
Overall, I'm just amazed how nice and helpful everyone was, and a big thanks to everyone there for having me :)
Excellent news, frals! Can't wait to see fMMS becoming "official" MMS solution for Maemo 5. :)

Because it's far from end-user ready, simple as that I'll promote it to -testing as soon as I consider it ready for endusers, I promise
Sounds good. I just thought it was a heavily used app and it's been in use for a while so there was some other reason it hadn't got out of dev stage.

Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by evad View Post
Here's the golden advice for you (for free): get yourself and your wife an iPhone. Period.
Yeah, I was mousing over to mod that post down. Woops.

fMMS is going down as text book for FOSS initiative and the future of relationships between developer, end user and manufacturer. I hope in the long run that this kind of strategy will help keep prices down and quality up. What is Microsoft's market share in this space and how is it trending? All of the current and relevant products in this arena are standing on the shoulders of the open source/open standards movements in one form or another.

frals was still doing fundemental research as of early November, and he officially just announced fMMS less than a month ago! The cream rises to the top, and he's a great example, but there's plenty of killer stuff going on around here. It seems to be nicely infectious, but it takes a constructively positive village. So when it comes to people giving freely, pour the sour stuff down the drain. And then MMS a happy picture of yourself to your grandmother.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Hi guys - I downloaded fMMS from the dev repo today. From my testing so far, all is working well for me (well, the basics - which is great, so don't mean that to sound negative).

I'm on O2 in the UK - I've sent and received picture and text.
My received pic was pretty small - but I believe that might well be the screen resolution and the senders phone doesn't half shrik them down - I think! (I'll try check on this some more).

The one thing that went wrong for me - which I've not noticed anyone else mention (and searched for it so sorry if I've missed it)...
On sending, I picked the contact which it did fine, but it seems to be classing me as a completely different contact in my address book!

The log roughly says...
search for Joe Bloggs gave: ['Joe Bloggs'] <this is correct - as in who I am sending to, directly followed by...
search for John Doe gave ['John Doe'] < some random contact from my list!

Now my outgoing message is marked with this other persons name!
The only thing I can think of is that this contact it has chosen happens to only have a mobile number of '0' (this stems from an old phone I had where I recorded someones email address only but it wanted a number too - so I gave it 0!

I'm assuming the answer is to get rid of this (but I only just thought of it so haven't tried it yet). Hopefully this is useful if not a random occurrence stemming from a very rare situation. Again I'll try test this some more, but it is late for me now!

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work!

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Ads View Post
The one thing that went wrong for me - which I've not noticed anyone else mention (and searched for it so sorry if I've missed it)...
On sending, I picked the contact which it did fine, but it seems to be classing me as a completely different contact in my address book!

The log roughly says...
search for Joe Bloggs gave: ['Joe Bloggs'] <this is correct - as in who I am sending to, directly followed by...
search for John Doe gave ['John Doe'] < some random contact from my list!

Now my outgoing message is marked with this other persons name!
The only thing I can think of is that this contact it has chosen happens to only have a mobile number of '0' (this stems from an old phone I had where I recorded someones email address only but it wanted a number too - so I gave it 0!
It's a bug in fMMS, I'm currently doing the contact matching really sloppy, I'm looking at fixing it

Thanks for testing!

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

don't know if this is already mentioned but today I just went and tried something out and it worked.

A thought only images could be send and recieved with fMMS but apperently it also accepted the ohoh.wav that I use for incomming IM.

so *.wav files can be recieved too haven't tried sending one yet but will probably work too.

Still love the app and using it frequently it's the first thing I install after a FW upgrade

suddenly i'm wondering if *.mp3 might work too. and maybe even *.mp4 or *.3gp

Closed Thread

Tags
application, community win, fmms, frals rocks, fralsvsnokia1-0, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900, python