Active Topics

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
This "hack" is so simple, surely someone else has already done it...

I finally took care of something today that's been bugging me ever since I've had my N800 - the blocked USB port behind the kickstand. I have never once used the stand, but was reluctant to remove it because of the unfinished appearance.

Well, I have been using the Boxwave Silicone case for the last month or so, and I love it, but it really makes the stand useless. So I used a tiny screwdriver, took off the two screws holding the stand, and then used a simple hole punch to create a hole where the USB port lines up in the case. Now I can transfer files to the N800 via USB while in the Boxwave case, plus the smoky grey color of the case covers everything nicely.

I can take a pic if someone really needs it, but the hole looks just like the ones for the audio jack and power port.

Please submit a picture.

That's more of a mod than a hack. A hack would be if you added a full sized usb port with power.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
A hack would be if you added a full sized usb port with power.
...*and* USBhost

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Toulouse, France
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
I have never once used the stand,
Incredible. It just goes to show how people's use patterns vary. I use the stand all the time and find it much more useful than I expected to. I use the USB port very little, finding that I tend to take out the SD card and put it in my notebook when I need to transfer files between it and the N800. Of course, I have to use the USB port when reflashing but I've only done that once so far.

Same here. I even use the stand while holding the n800 in the hand.

I probably would have modded the case to be able to use the stand.

Originally Posted by maxilogan View Post
...*and* USBhost
I thought we already had usb host, just not power.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I rarely use the stand, and I never use the USB port.

I transfer files to the N800 via "scp". Takes a few seconds longer, but needs no tinkering with cables and such.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Gee, I could've sold one of these guys my original N800, instead of waiting almost 3 months for Nokia to not fix my broken kickstand... ;-)

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Port Angeles, WA
My eyes aren't very good anymore, but it looks like on my n800 the kickstand is riveted on, least I can't see any + slot for even a tiny screwdriver.
I also have a silicone case (keeps it from slipping to floor) but I wished I could mod it to use the case by removing stand and rescrewing thru silicone case.