Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Guys, the N900 (or any handheld non-DSLR class) camera is unable to take images of stars without a tripod or sorts, so there is little to integrate. It can guess the ALT component from the accelerometers, but AZ is missing without a dedicated compass (unless you're running in the direction of the sky you're interested in and using the GPS to get a bearing )
Hmm, could it be possible to show some crosshair-style aiming help on screen to calibrate ALT & AZ?

You could then aim the n900 at some known bright object that is currently visible at your location (the moon, planets, brightest stars..) and click a button to calibrate ALT & AZ to Stellarium at least with some precision.

Live camera view with crosshair and some magnification could be extra nice for aiming if it works but it is not required. Just an arrow etc. on top/corner of Stellarium screen could be enough for aiming..Just an idea, might be difficult to implement though..?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Live view does not help this... Simply, in handheld operation, stellar objects are indiscernible from CCD noise, except for the Moon, and maaaybe brighter planets that are in opposition at the moment.

What is possible is to try and make an as accurate as possible ALT measurement (like hold N900 an at arm's length and cover/center the object you want to identify). Then, knowing location, time we can narrow the number of objects that are known, observable and at the given ALT (you are supposed to point at something interesting, not a black patch of sky). For example, using this method you could always ID planets and probably some of the more famous/prominent constellations. Not exactly robust or universal, but that could work - but then again, you don't need a camera for that

Another interesting point would be to see how well inertial navigation works, i.e. how much can we move around until we must re-sync to the known object (=AZ).

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Live view does not help this... Simply, in handheld operation, stellar objects are indiscernible from CCD noise, except for the Moon, and maaaybe brighter planets that are in opposition at the moment.

What is possible is to try and make an as accurate as possible ALT measurement (like hold N900 an at arm's length and cover/center the object you want to identify). Then, knowing location, time we can narrow the number of objects that are known, observable and at the given ALT (you are supposed to point at something interesting, not a black patch of sky). For example, using this method you could always ID planets and probably some of the more famous/prominent constellations. Not exactly robust or universal, but that could work - but then again, you don't need a camera for that

Another interesting point would be to see how well inertial navigation works, i.e. how much can we move around until we must re-sync to the known object (=AZ).
this sounds intresting:-)
But out of my league ha ha would be nice if could be done

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Okay, got it working. All I can say is wow! This is truly amazing! Thank you shuairan (and xalioth)!!

Just figured out how to zoom in and out: CTRL+ Up or Down arrow. Superb!
I just got it working and it looks great. Just one problem - I have a French Azerty keyboard and the CTRL + UP doesn't work since the up and down keys already require the blue function key to be used (the left and right key double up as up and down keys with the blue function key). Is there any other way to zoom?
I tried switching keyboard to English in the text input menu and that allowed me to zoom but switching really isn't very convenient.

-=AC=-

Originally Posted by shuairan View Post
if you have problems with conflicting packages maybe this here will help:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43357
try this as root(for every conflicting package):
apt-get install libqt-maemo5-maemo5
apt-get install ilbqt4-maemo5-phonon
apt-get install libqt4-maemo5-xmlpatterns
if you don't know how to do that you probably should disable extras-devel and don't use it ;-)
Could you add a link to this post in the #1 post. Would be much easier to find.

+ for me
apt-get install libqt4-maemo5-maemo5

was needed, as that libqt did not exist, so checked with apt-cache search

I havent had any problems with Stellarium

It hasnt made my phone laggy, slow or require a reboot, but can understand that other apps from dev may cause things to go a bit loopy on occasion

The install from Dev ran fine all dependencies ok, but then I have installed it previously from just the .deb file and manually installed the dependencies

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Portugal
yesterday after i remove stellarium, after some time , my SIM card cant register anymore in the network, is this possible?.since i have 2 SIM cards with the same number im using other,i install again stellarium to check and i will remove with this new SIM card. strange issue

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ troll cave
Originally Posted by shuairan View Post
Try to update and then report here if it works :-)

---

oh theres a problem with the actual version, forget to make the changes to the default configuration. if you had the previous version the config file in /home/user/.stellarium/config.ini it will work fine. for new users, i'll fix it in the next release, until that change the values in the config.ini file:
Code:
181,182c181,182
< screen_h                            = 768
< screen_w                            = 1024
---
> screen_h                            = 480
> screen_w                            = 800
This fixed the "white transparent area" problem. Now I'm left with only two problems:

1. When selecting "constellation names", the font is garbled
2. the "view settings" screen is too large to fit the screen

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this app ROCKS but is BUGGY

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-02-23 at 10:10.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
this app ROCKS but is BUGGY as HELL
I agreed man, everytimes I opened it, it runs sweet but there is a patch of area is dark and another is still filtered by a light area. And yes it crash every time i try to rotate lol.

It crashed my N900 every times i opened it. BUGGY AS HELL..

This apps should be awarded with the buggiest application in Extra-Devel ever ... Period!