Notices

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
I installed the location plugin for microb and then hit up google maps mobile and it works great for finding things around me.
Where did you find this then?

Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
City visits, i find, are near impossible without google maps... on a recent trip to london, it was worth its weight in gold....
Is anybody aware of the fact that mankind is re-evolving to mindless apes when everybody's dependies on the big G are growing and and growing? Think about it.

Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
Where did you find this then?
Just found it. It's in the App manager > Location & Navigation > 'maemo-geolocation'.

Originally Posted by sxg75
Is anybody aware of the fact that mankind is re-evolving to mindless apes when everybody's dependies on the big G are growing and and growing? Think about it.
We're all DEVO!

Last edited by Spudboy; 2010-02-07 at 12:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to Spudboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by sxg75 View Post
SkyNet is on its way

I used google maps on an s60 smart phone, very nice and well done.

given the fact they've written the app for android, how hard could it be to port it to maemo, they're both linux right??

or mabey thats it, google has an andriod phone debuting and they don't want the n900 to interfere...

that'd be harsh. Real ****ing harsh, a foul so bad, you'd be entering Microsoft territory.

edit: It tried ovi-maps, its not bad, but I want my google maps, and lattitude support.

Quick question, you people DO know that google USES maps that NOKIA owns right?

But I agree google maps works faster...

Go to settings, position, positioningserver, change supl from nokia to this: supl.google.com

It will speed up map loading 10 times

The Following User Says Thank You to Modell900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GI jack View Post
given the fact they've written the app for android, how hard could it be to port it to maemo, they're both linux right??
Android apps are written in Java running using Android specific API's. The fact that the underlying kernels are both Linux does not necessarily make it easy to port between Android and Maemo. In fact, it is probably easier to port between Blackberry and Android than it is to port between Android and Maemo.

Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
Quick question, you people DO know that google USES maps that NOKIA owns right?
Are you sure that they are still using Navteq anywhere? In the US they dropped Navteq in favor of Tele Atlas a couple years ago and recently started using mostly their own data... check the copyright at the bottom of a google maps page, is it still Navteq where you're at?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I tried using Ovimaps for a little bit today. I was getting a little confused. I feel kinda bad for Nokia in this department... Some poor guys' creation (ovi maps) seems to be far less popular than google maps...

BTW, I posted in that request thread.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Hmm... I know Google has a really fancy As3 (Actionscript 3) API. I wonder if it would be a really bad or ok idea to create a Flash SWF that shows Google Maps in fullscreen.

I give As3 lectures and one of my students recently tried out the api and showed me it was more or less trivial to get a zoomable, scrollable map in Flash...

We could then probably implement a search box that pops up and shows a nice dialog for searching for an address... I have to look at the api though, to see what it allows and what it doesn't.

At best, it could make developing a Flash-based Google maps app really easy. At worst, it would be no better than the browser and be a lot more cpu intense...

What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:

Tags
google maps, port