Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As far as I know Linus wanted a phone with good navigation capabilities and chose the Nexus One.

Quite franlky I think he made the right choice. If navigation was an important factor I probably would choose it too.

However, my requirement was an open-source flexible mini computer then phone functionality - I chose the n900.

If we talk about "Linux" as in GNU/Linux then the Nexus One does not meet that definition

Then n900 meets this definition because it includes the glibc libraries and as a result porting existing GNU tools and other linux-based programs are much easier.

Android phones do not include any glibc libraries (I think a port of some kind is in progress) so GNU/linux programs in general will not appear in Android any time soon.

Like I said Linus's requirements for navigation was important to him and he made the right decision. Android phones are obviously closely-integrated to Google services and fill that requirement.

I know that there is work underway to bring decent navigation to the n900 but it is available now for android.

For me the n900 is about flexibility and control. If Nokia completely ignored the n900 and ceases development - I can still use the n900 for years to come - it's easier to write or convert software for the n900 than it is for android-based phones.

Give Linus a break!

He is exercising his right to free choice. If it was up to certain other companies that choice will be taken away from you.

Richard Stallman started this "GNU free software" malarky and I know he is "a bit wierd" but without the GNU license things would be very different.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That's how they feel about their belief and values too

This is just politics to avoid friction. You're not being sincere.
You're right. I avoid friction a lot. Should I not? I'll be sincere if asked, but I don't go around pointing out perceived faults in people just because I perceive them.

edit: I'm talking about strangers or acquaintances here. I try not to sit on such a benevolent high horse with people close to me. With friends, sincerity and truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is more important, so help me RMS.

(also: I believe we are put on this earth to fart around.)

edit 2: apologies: I forgot about not talking politics, I forgot about being on topic and I probably forgot about something else, as well. I'll shut up about this now.

Last edited by mannakiosk; 2010-02-08 at 13:23.

He _didn't_ ignore the 'why not N900' questions:

Originally Posted by Linus in his blog

everybody: my dad got himself a N900, so there's one in the family. Don't worry about it, there's room for more than one Linux phone.

I like the Nexus One, maybe I'd like the N900 too. But I certainly don't like cellphones enough to have two.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
He _didn't_ ignore the 'why not N900' questions:
Did you read the timestamps?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
I bet he forgot how to use Terminal so he got himself a N1.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
There are those who like mobiles as a status symbol, those who like to tool with them for other pursuits, those who simply like to be communicated with, and those who'd like a little of all of that, but for most of its use to fade into the background.

Android does that better than pretty much any mobile platform other than Palm's webOS.

When the OS fades into the background, and the person can just use it, then mobile is enabling. He's pretty much just saying as much - with a product note from the group who runs his blog

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ England and USA
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
Google probably sent it to him for free . . . They where sending Nexus Ones to all the youtube Vloggers and a hand full of other E-leberty's
I wonder if Nokia could be persuaded to give Linux a complementary N900. It would be great publicity.

Linus is just another mortal.
The free software community should better not praise some emperor.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I imagine a thought baloon over Linus's head with the statement "I have better things to do than play with my !"@#\/()*? cell phone!"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Let's face it - navigation on the n900 sucks.

Linus said:

But I have to admit, the Nexus One is a winner. I wasn't enthusiastic about buying a phone on the internet sight unseen, but the day it was reported that it finally had the pinch-to-zoom thing enabled, I decided to take the plunge. I've wanted to have a GPS unit for my car anyway, and I thought that google navigation might finally make a phone useful.
If you look at the Engadget poll about 1/2 down is a vote for GPS device.

Motorola Droid (Google Maps Navigation for Android) 14960 (46.5%)
Navigon iPhone app 3505 (10.9%)
Palm Pre Sprint Navigation 5272 (16.4%)
Nuvi 1690 2523 (7.8%)
Magellan Roadmate 1475t 736 (2.3%)
TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 2627 (8.2%)
TomTom GO 740 XL Live 2553 (7.9%)
I think Linus made the right decision.

When (If?) the n900 get's decent navigation Linus may look at it again (his Dad has got an n900).

Last edited by johnel; 2010-02-08 at 15:05.

Tags
linux wars