Notices

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
That's because its not mean to be a music player - it DOES music playing, but I don't recall Nokia ever saying it would replace your ipod etc - or for that matter even hinting that it would.

I strongly suggest if you bought the device to replace an existing mp3 device then you should have done more research before forking over the cash.

what??

Get real will you. My last 3 or 4 Nokias and Sonys over the last 5 yrs have been able to play tracks (the way an album looks) and end them properly (when a call is received). Why can't this " computer" ? I'm not asking for an iPod. Just something that works for £500.

Taken straight from the Nokia www.:
Shuffle music and watch videos from the fast 32 GB storage - expandable up to 48 GB*
Fill and re-fill your device with a top USB mass storage transfer speed of up to 10 MB/s – get a DVD quality movie in a few minutes.
Enjoy music and videos with the extensive media support available, with the easy-to-use Maemo 5 Music & Video Player.
Be amazed by the stereo audio quality and the sharpness of the TV-out picture quality. Cable included.

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-02-10 at 18:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
remember those sony walkman tape players? god, they were good! ;-)

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
That's because its not mean to be a music player - it DOES music playing, but I don't recall Nokia ever saying it would replace your ipod etc - or for that matter even hinting that it would.

I strongly suggest if you bought the device to replace an existing mp3 device then you should have done more research before forking over the cash.

And while we are on the subject can we please stop with the "Oh man it sucks" or "Cmon you gotta be kidding me" threads about subjects that have either

a) Been discussed to death in other threads
b) Are about functionality that if you had bothered to do even a small amount of research you would have realized was not the primary function of the device

When your ipod/mp3 player can VPN into my office VPN and allow me to remote admin my servers - come talk to me. Until then comparing the music playing functionality to a single use device like an iPod is both pointless and stupid.
What is the primary function of this device cos so far its not a phone and its music player is crap?? 2 fairly straight forward things to get right from a company that makes phones and plenty of music player phones I'd say.

oh and if the discussion is pointless and stupid, stay out of it.
This is a forum for godsake. New users will always have a view and there may be duplicated threads, but for people (like you) who seem to think its only purpose is to power the earth remotely - is quite frankly stupid and pointless to me. All I'm saying is what floats our boat don't float mine.

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-02-10 at 19:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ UAE/Dubai/Burj Khalifa
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
What is the primary function of this device cos so far its not a phone and its music player is crap?? 2 fairly straight forward things to get right from a company that makes phones and plenty of music player phones I'd say.
ummm....a tablet?!! duh

Its time to stop posting!!!!!
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1646/stopposting.jpg

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
When your ipod/mp3 player can VPN into my office VPN and allow me to remote admin my servers - come talk to me. Until then comparing the music playing functionality to a single use device like an iPod is both pointless and stupid.
This is a strange answer and I'll assume you don't work for the Maemo team - correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if I am to understand you - the Maemo team essentially said, "let's just put some piece of **** media player on the N900 and call it a day. no one expects this to replace their PMP and they should be happy with what they get."

That doesn't seem right to me. I don't think they think that way - I have to believe they are less than pleased with the media player and want it to be better.

Hell, why didn't they just make incorporate Canola as the media player?

In any event, all they need to do is:

* better gui (look to the Zune HD UI for some inspiration)
* gapless playback
* pause music on phone call
* figure out a way to make the media player more robust when a txt/sms/phonecall interrupts the playback

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IWantToMarryTheN900 View Post
This is a strange answer and I'll assume you don't work for the Maemo team - correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if I am to understand you - the Maemo team essentially said, "let's just put some piece of **** media player on the N900 and call it a day. no one expects this to replace their PMP and they should be happy with what they get."

That doesn't seem right to me. I don't think they think that way - I have to believe they are less than pleased with the media player and want it to be better.

Hell, why didn't they just make incorporate Canola as the media player?

In any event, all they need to do is:

* better gui (look to the Zune HD UI for some inspiration)
* gapless playback
* pause music on phone call
* figure out a way to make the media player more robust when a txt/sms/phonecall interrupts the playback
Ok i will attempt to answer some of the responses here then I am out.

This is not a PMP, was never advertised as one. The primary function of the device is and has always been as a personal computing device. Thats what Nokia have ALWAYS stated the device as being.

If you sole requirement for the device was as a phone and media player then you should have bought an iPhone. Though there is some question as to its effectiveness as a phone.

As far as the items taken from the website. I don't see one thing there that the device cant and doesn't do. Your complaint seems to be HOW it does them. Now God forbid you spend some time and check out the several other music/video players ALREADY available for the device. That would go against the standard "Its easier if I whine about it" mentality that seems to infect the greater majority of the populous today. Or better still - you could contribute to the ALREADY STARTED brainstorms for the media player. OR BETTER STILL you could suck up a few gray cells and write your own, thus solving your own issue and at the same time becoming less of a waste of bandwidth in the community as a whole. Thats what I and Fatal did when the pandora command line client needed a GUI.

Now I know some people are going to say, that's harsh etc etc, but quite honestly I am so tired of the whining I simply cannot summon the strength to try help these people any more.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Bratag; 2010-02-10 at 19:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
what??

Get real will you. My last 3 or 4 Nokias and Sonys over the last 5 yrs have been able to play tracks (the way an album looks) and end them properly (when a call is received). Why can't this " computer" ? I'm not asking for an iPod. Just something that works for £500.
but it already does all that. I don't get what the problem is. Like i said before i think it has to do with the user, if you need help in setting up your music, i would be more than to happy to help anybody out.

sorting or how n900 sorts music is an issue with a lot of folks. if this is what you are referring to, there are quite a few threads that can help you. I think its fantastic how much power it gives to the user. Plug it anywhere and drag and drop files as you like. All the media player is asking you to be is stay organized.

again i think lack of functionality is an issue and that needs to be discussed. More methods of sorting, more tag options.

Last edited by niqbal; 2010-02-10 at 19:53.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
This is not a PMP, was never advertised as one. The primary function of the device is and has always been as a personal computing device. Thats what Nokia have ALWAYS stated the device as being.
That is an awful excuse for anything. Nokia included the media player with the device. I think it's safe to say media playback is something a lot of people use their "personal computing devices" for. Setting aside feature requests, the performance of the media player isn't acceptable.

Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
That is an awful excuse for anything. Nokia included the media player with the device. I think it's safe to say media playback is something a lot of people use their "personal computing devices" for. Setting aside feature requests, the performance of the media player isn't acceptable.
How is it a miserable excuse? By your logic if they hadn't included a media player at all then this wouldn't even be an issue.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
nokia claim they are the biggest maker of Media players in the world.
so saying this device is not meant to replace a media player is a bad excuse b/c nokia thinks there devices are replacements for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:

Tags
waiting impatiently