Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by UNderworld View Post
It was the days when Razr was famous ... THIN phones were a "fashion".. then came the N90 (112 x 51 x 24 mm).... followed by all the Nseries which were also big... N93, N95.. by big I mean some were thick....

Now, HTC is making sleek phones like the HD2, nexus one, and Nokia releases the N900.... The keyboard is not an excuse to make it large- see the moto milestone/droid....

Do they make it big on purpose? or "thick"??
N93 is large because of it's optical zoom lens which is 1/5 of its total size, you can't shrink that because of the glass has to move. Also, it's dual hinge design is taking up size.

Razr: In one dinner with 6 friends years ago, I was using Sony Ericsson K700i and no kidding all of my friends were using Razr.
My phone did everything better than Razr and more. Razr had nothing but a slim body, I told them Motorola made it slim because they packed less components and features in it (same to the original iPhone)
In less than a year, most of them dumped the Razr.

Not long ago, HTC's Touch Pro 2 is as big and heavy as the N900.

However, Motorola's Droid is very impressive to me, though the camera is definitely not on par with Nokia's Carl Zeiss. I woudln't trade a good camera for a smaller body... that's why I own DSLRs, not compacts

My take is Nokia has never joined the slimming party, but instead packing power and goodies into their phones.

Last edited by mcdull; 2010-02-10 at 21:56.

Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Nokia makes many, many phones. some big; some not. Your question is literally (not an insult) ignorant.

As for the N900: it has 2 cameras--one of which is very nice. it has an IR port, a large battery, 32GB memory, TV out, a decent physical keyboard, 2 speakers, an FM radio, an FM transmitter, a stylus, and even a lanyard hole. Any phone with all that will be chunky. I prefer capability over style.
I am talking about high end devices... mostly the N series...
its not the ONLY phone with those specs on the market at the moment...

To bludgeon people with, of course. Thin phones just fold under the impact.

I am talking about high end devices... mostly the N series...
its not the ONLY phone with those specs on the market at the moment...
Really, which phone has all those things I mentioned?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
squeeze the hardware inside.....??
Oh, that simple. How come nobody thought that before?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
Really, which phone has all those things I mentioned?
x2, I would also like to know what other phone has those features.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Oh, that simple. How come nobody thought that before?
Oh come on, Quim. We all know that electronics actually come in toothpaste tubes and you just gotta squeeze it all in there.

ok if the 5mp carl zeiss requires that thickness, y not fill up the rest with a useable battery??
well, I'm sure nokia tried their best ... there must be some conflict ... i mean look how well they packed the e71 together. Well, I came from n95 ... and the n900 is "slimmer" but a bit wider and longer. I prefer big phones though ... I like the feel

Buy an E-series... Wins on build quality, design and size. Nokia is saying you can't have everything otherwise you won't come back. There is always something you think why is this feature deliberately missing. Most manufacturers do it but Nokia seems to be the most blatant.

For example.

N82 with xenon but crippled by the tiny screen. Why can't we have an N82 with a slightly larger screen.

N86 aimed at being the best camera phone with 2.6" screen but crippled by not having xenon.

N97 nice device with large screen and mass memory but crippled with horrible speakers, no xenon, faulty GPS receiver, small ROM.

N900 great device but crippled by not having turn by turn navigation and horrible phone function. How difficult was it for Nokia to include a physical call and end keys in the wasted space below the screen.

The Nokia 6220c. 5MPx camera and xenon flash. Nokia said "hey you're getting Carl Zeis 5MPx and xenon, what shall we do?" Well you end up with a tiny 2.2" screen, low capacity battery, no WIFI. Why bother sticking xenon flash into a low end phone and refuse to have this on any high end phones?

And then you have the ones where they deliberately remove WIFI, 3G, TV out etc but the rest of the phone feature is nice just crippled in some way.

rant over.

Last edited by TooMuchMoney; 2010-02-11 at 05:39.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
The N900 is NOT BIG . . . it may appears more "CHUNKY" than it really is . . . it is smaller than a pack of Newport cigarettes!!!! It is SMALLER THAN AN iphone is HEIGHT!!!

iPhone 3GS - 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm
Nokia N900 - 110.9 x 59.8 x 18 mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7yOm2TDrdg

Tags
infinitesimal, not for metrosexuals, small-penised designers