Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I guess imitation is the highest form of flattery?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/15/k...0-gets-ripped/

runs windows, and is that a camera I see?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I'd lay money on the fact that they have NOTHING -- just pictures and claimed specs. Look at what they claim: just a collection of the really good and the really bad. Good: some the great and promised apps (maemo mapper and Skype). Bad: Windows CE. Also note the use of the word "support" everywhere, not "built-in" or "supplied".

This is vaporware!

-F

oh I'm sure it is... just thought the image was interesting....

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Windows CE is only bad for people who don't like Microsoft's OS's. Like some people here.

They said MSN support, VOIP support and video should be possible.

They said document viewing was in. The camera is in. GPS is in. WIfi is in etc.

On the N800 we've been saying for a year USB host was possible. skype was coming. etc..

If there are going to be any negative comments about devices it should start here. With the Nokia brick that Nokia is selling and you all are still trying to fix.

This is a just a product announcement. If it runs Windows CE as they say, you can bet that it will do just about everything they are claiming and more. Which is a lot more than we can say for the N800/770 that's been out for .... I can't remember how long.

I hope it is vapourware for Nokia's sake.

Perhaps the n800 is not the right device for you... I think the linux OS and open platform was what drew many people here to the n800... I would agree that strictly as a device to get online the n800 is lacking in many regards for the end user... but as a device for the hobbyist / technically inclined individual, "fixing the n800" as you put it may be part of the fun of owning it.

I know for me, my decision to buy the n800 was based not only on what comes in the box but on the openness of the device and the community of users comitted to enhancing the base functionality in creative ways.

I agree that in six months or a years time there will be a myriad of technically superior devices out there... but the question is, will they be as open as the n800... I for one hope nokia continues to innovate in this area.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Amen, though I would have bought a $400 device that supports text to speech and other Windows things I like. (thebrain, audible, dreamweaver, for example)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The picture being shown on the fake comes directly from Nokia's documentation with the "Hello Sun". just a cheap photoshop.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Amen, though I would have bought a $400 device that supports text to speech and other Windows things I like. (thebrain, audible, dreamweaver, for example)
The Everun, discussed in another recent thread, has that advantage of being able to run Windows software. I too wish that TTS were as well developed on Linux as it is on Windows. Many of the voices out there are incredibly lifelike.

Being able to take any text, any e-book say, and have a TTS program read the book while I am driving somewhere is something a tablet promises. Looks like the Windows tablets will get there first (and by "there" I mean an affordable solution -- OQO, for one, is already capable of this).

But I don't think the WinCE platform is going to be robust enough to handle all the kinds of software we will really want. I think eventually the full WinXP UMPCs will squeeze WinCE into only the cheapest devices and its software availability will expand at a far slower rate than what we will see on our Nokia Internet Tablets.

Well, my .02.

Roger

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post

Being able to take any text, any e-book say, and have a TTS program read the book while I am driving somewhere is something a tablet promises. Looks like the Windows tablets will get there first (and by "there" I mean an affordable solution -- OQO, for one, is already capable of this).

Roger
I don't think I would classify the OQO as an "affordable solution"

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
This is like Triple post guys lets use the search function first