Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
There was a thread on this a few weeks back if it helps any....i bought one of the £5 ones from amazon and have been using it as a backup for when i'm away from home (a lot with work)...i don't use it often, or all the way to empty but just until i can recharge the original (so bought a desktop charge for £3 from ebay)...it works perfectly for me this way.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...heap+batteries

i cold take a dump and put a BL-5J sticker on the steaming pile, doesnt mean it would be good for your $600 phone

Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
i cold take a dump and put a BL-5J sticker on the steaming pile, doesnt mean it would be good for your $600 phone

true..but it might be the most useful thing in the vicinity of your phone!

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Ive bought my fair share of duffers, most have gone back, and a few for free as ebay seller refunded no questions asked (they knew were fake!)

bought some from here tho......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

definately genuine, and seriously cheap.... havent looked see if they have more mind you...

ill disect one of the duff ones at some point and post some pictures as comparison.

usually the fakes, the hologram is greener, not so much red and yellow, and they really struggle to show the dots on the sides of the oval logo without turning battery around. genuine ones only require a gentle pan / rotate ..... ie, the battery always faces the same way, you just alter your viewing angle, not direction. and you will see the 1,2,3 and 4 dots on the side.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by mwerle View Post
Bought one. It came in an envelope with no other packaging. Fairly certain is non-genuine (good fake). Only lasts about 7hrs.
You get what you pay for..
7 HOURS!!!!! My Nokia doesn't last more than 2 hours outside the house . . .

(while playing mp3's talks on the phone and using the internet - all at the same time of course )

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
one thing:
safety circuit.

It will probably prevent the li-ion cell from exploding(if misused) and definitely prevent overdischarge that will destroy cells permanently and instantly. At least I wouldn't run those really cheap batteries totally dry....
Come on, this time Chinese manufacturers crack the battery-camcoder codes which prevent the usage of non-branded batteries with some camcoders. That requires some control chip. Do you think they are not able to put a simple safety circuit into battery after that?

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
OK.... so i though sod it, i may as well do it now.....

Check the following out.... in all the pics with 3 batteries, the middle one is FAKE.... so i dismantled it....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...marauder/BL5J/

Most worringly is the fact it says its 1320mah on the lable.... but inside it says 850mah!!!

most of it was stuck together with sticky foam / glue...

and you can also see what i mean about the hologram colours.

the shape of the face is slightly different....

i also made sure i used 2 genuine batteries from different countries... one came with the N900 itself, and the other from the link i provided earlier.. text does differ between the two genuine ones, so that cant be used to confirm a fake.

hope this helps some peeps out...

®

Last edited by mr_bridger; 2010-02-12 at 19:52. Reason: Typos

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr_bridger For This Useful Post:
mr_bridger, thanks for your pics and for taking the trouble.
Does make me think me cheap Amazon one is genuine though :-)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I confess that my long aversion to the genuine Nokia batteries was formed when they cost like $70 per battery (that was with the N800). Now that they are more reasonably priced, I would probably buy the genuine ones...if I wasn't so used to buying knockoffs.

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
i have 3 and all of them works great to me the price and there from nokia head over to mobilecityonline.com you cant go wrong