Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by mtjioe View Post
Symbian emulation would be great! We could finally use Mobipocket again!
You can probably do that using palm emulation which is already available. But I don't think any emulation will support DRM. I'd be happy to be contradicted on this!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
You can probably do that using palm emulation which is already available. But I don't think any emulation will support DRM. I'd be happy to be contradicted on this!
The palm emulation certainly doesn't - it crashes the emulator as soon as I try to open an encrypted file. In general, it should be down to the emulator though - there's no hardware involved for DRM on most of these systems, so there's no reason it couldn't be done.

I'd rather see time invested in Maemo versions of quality apps

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Watching the news about VMware and Android running on N900 I was wondering if could be possible to come up with an emulator to run Symbian Apps atop Maemo 5...

It seem like a crazy idea and I don't know if it is feasible since I am not a developer and new as a Maemo user. I am sure that it would not be a simple work and also probably wouldn't work for heavy consuming apps, but for sure it would be a solution pretty useful to instantly add lots of new apps to Maemo platform.

Does anyone know about techincal limitations in the HW or OS to implement such emulation?

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sao Paulo, Brazil

It would be good for running TomTom on it though

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Just sell the N900 and buy the N97? They practically look similar, anyway.
ha....u r joking rite.....i have both N97 as well as N900....comparing the two is an insult to N900...maemo 5 is absolutely amazing....apart from the looks they are two completely different stuff....N97 is a phone more like....N900 is more like a mini computer...

Hey guys, Im new here, and to the whole maemo OS in general, Ive been a symbian nokia fan for soo long, i finally decided to try the n900, the fact that dell had a great price helped me make this decision lol.

Anyways I was wondering the exact same thing, there are soo many nice apps for symbian but im scared I wont be able to find them on maemo. Does anyone know if there are muslim devs out there that can come up with a Qur'an app and one that can give you reminders when the prayers are based on location?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Ali bhai View Post
Anyways I was wondering the exact same thing, there are soo many nice apps for symbian but im scared I wont be able to find them on maemo. Does anyone know if there are muslim devs out there that can come up with a Qur'an app and one that can give you reminders when the prayers are based on location?
As far as I'm aware there isn't anything available right now, but I believe people are looking into either writing or porting suitable applications.

You could ask for what you're looking for here.

This is probably a stupid question but i was just curious to ask the pros.

I know there are emulators available to run gameboy games etc but is it possible to run/port symbian apps on the N900 and what are the complications?