Active Topics

tried to play a few MP4 video files on the N900 after transferring them from desktop but keep getting the "media format not supported" error.

I even tried MWA file of the same video but still won't work?

Anyone help me sort this out?

Last edited by chicoelnino; 2010-02-13 at 03:52.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
try downloading that codec package in the app manager

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
Strange. Mp4 is natively supported by the phone. Are you sure your files are not corrupted ?

You could try to install this : http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...oders-support/.

i installed the codec package from app manager just now but still getting the same error?

The files play perfect on the desktop so they are not corrupt.

I think it has to do with the resolution of the video. If it's too high, it won't support it...

A clarification here is due: mp4 is the contasiner format (not the codec) . An mp4 extension may mean anything inside it. Maybe you could post here which codecs are inside your mp4 file (e.g. mpeg2, vorbis..).

You can see them by playing the same clip with Totem and enabling the sidebar.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Also, try rebooting... I've had some problems where I play something that works fine, then do something else and come back and try and play it again and it's not a recognized format. A reboot sorts it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Yesterday my N900 didn't want to play videos taken with the camera.
Reboot fixed things for me.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
ive has massive issues with movie playback sinse the pr1.1 update, checked out thread

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40675

the main problem seems to be the chapter makers with the meta data of movies files, its a strange one but a definate bug.

but like the others have said it could be a number of things, you could try downloading kmplayer, the ui is rubbish but it plays everything the stock media player moans about.

good luck

Have Kmplayer installed already and it doe'nst play them either. screen is just blank!