Notices

Hello N900 enthusiasts!

Youtube works fine and justin.tv rather acceptable on the N900. I am wondering now if it is possible to watch zattoo via their webplayer (http://www.zattoo.com) without any frameskipping. The sound works perfect but the video has a frame rate of feeled 1-2 per second. For all who do not know what zattoo is:

"Zattoo is a proprietary Internet Protocol Television system ("P2PTV") with current focus on European channels, licensed content, and Digital Rights Management."

Unfortunately the development of a Zattoo Software for Linux was stopped, this is why I am trying to enjoy zattoo via their webplayer, which works fine on a system with strong CPU.

I discovered this a few days ago:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Zattoo_Web_Player

Some guys made an "application" for Linux based on Prism. They made the CPU resource eating frames disappear, so that you only have a full screen picture of the stream.

Does someone have an idea how to get this to work on the N900?

Greetings

redhotfoo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hmm... well, I can't promise you that it will work well even with that, as Flash in a browser really isn't the best way to play video in terms of the processing power required. However, I took a look at the site you linked to, and from what I could gather (I don't technically know a word of German, but I can figure out the gist), the primary thing they've done to improve performance is to remove all the extraneous content from the page using a custom CSS stylesheet. I have no idea if Mozilla plans to port Prism (and I think it's still technically beta for the desktop), but there are already Firefox extensions that allow you to override the stylesheet for a specific page, and one of them might be more practical to try and port in the mean time. (Disclaimer: I've never done browser or extension development, but I've seen other FF extensions ported, so I don't think it's out of the question.) Porting one of them would also be good for those relatively few sites that the N900 isn't quite capable of handling, but which don't warrant using a dumbed-down "mobile" (read: iPhone) page. For that matter, the Greasemonkey extension is already ported (but not stable, IIRC - use at your own risk if so), and that could be used to accomplish the same task in this case, although it would be clumsier.
On a different vein, if they're just doing the usual Flash player method of loading a player and streaming an FLV video to it, then it would probably be possible to add support to one of the media player apps that has Youtube support.

EDIT: I misread your post slightly. Sorry for telling you things you already knew - no offence meant.

Cheers,

Last edited by jaem; 2010-02-14 at 08:40.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Aloha,
i just playing around with greasemonkey, but after it doesnt work for MicroB after PR1.1
i stoped testing.

but the script worked on my desktop system, i lend it from the ubuntuforum and modified it for the n900

The Following User Says Thank You to Olle For This Useful Post:
Does someone else have an idea how to run zattoo smoothly on N900?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Ok, i tested the script via userContent.css
it displays only the videoStream, but it doesent improve the playback, its still 1-2fps

Damn, this is really bad news.

Hopefully zattoo will create a player for Linux again.