Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
For me it would be a BIG loss (six hundred bucks) even if it is good for the future of Open Source.
I appreciate that. What I was trying to convey was my beliefs about how Nokia management may be thinking. So they may upset a lot of N900 buyers (this assumes of course that you get no support, but Nokia may still keep on supporting Maemo5 for a while), but in the overall scheme of things, I believe they are comparing that with the potential residing in this new constellation. And in that perspective the N900 customers are likely to be a drop in the ocean. They may still decide to support it, or they may have never intended to support it, either way they must be looking at the large picture and for ways to better meet the competition.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Don't mean to offend anyone, but Nokia should drag fremantle to the back of the shed now and put it out of its misery while in the early stages. Can't stand to look at a semi-updated platform again from Nokia. Kill it but let us N900 users upgrade to meego/m6

The Following User Says Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
there is simple formula for that.

Amount of Symbian cellphones sold per year - Amount of Maemo devices sold per year = Gap

I think that the gap is huge. (no proper data for better source etc)
so even if nokia would piss off everyone who ever bought n900, there are huge masses of people who just comment "what is n900" and thats it.

it isn't charity even if it is Open Source... and I am ready to lick my wounds and wait for better future. It seems that future is much brighter with meego than plain maemo....
My thoughts, exactly!

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
people are putting way too much optimism in Nokia's favour here, and I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

as has already been mentioned, FoneArena asked quite a clear question "if Nokia N900 will get MeeGo" and were given the response "Developers can transition easily..". Now, admittedly that is a tweet, but it doesn't bode well. It smacks of a politician dodging pertinent questions. Surely they should be able to give us a simple yes or no answer. Just the fact that they are being ambiguous is cause for concern, in my opinion.

someone here mentioned that the N900 is featured on the homepage of MeeGo.com. This seems to be just for illustrative purposes, and I would advise anyone who takes this seriously, you need a reality check. It's a marketing picture, nothing more. If the N900 were going to be supported, there would be some definitive declaration saying so.

I'm in two minds as to whether to ditch the N900 and go back to Android.

as you can see here i have been a long time Nokia user, however the recent behaviour from Nokia has made me reconsider ever buying another handset of theirs again.

I accepted that the N900 was going to be a bleeding edge device, but I am disappointed at the very real prospect of there being no future software support for this device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oscillik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Youtube video with Ari Jaaksi, Quim and some Intel dudes talking about Meego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLtd...ayer_embedded#

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bahrain
we need an official announcement. period.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
While I know this is probably for the best for everyone and that this will work out well in a few months down the line... I have to wonder why people I don't know and haven't met before are telling me things about "how it's going to be" without even talking to us or our community before making such sweeping decisions such as a switch to RPM and probably countless other things.

I'm not so sure I like that.

Last edited by zerojay; 2010-02-15 at 12:22.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
Have Nokia any clue whats going on?
I clearly seems they don't

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The interesting question is how sincere will Intel+Nokia will be with regard to supporting the ARM branch of MeeGo. Remember, for Intel, this is win-anyway scenario. If MeeGo works out, great. If MeeGo is a flop, if it spawns/leaves Windows capable devices (as opposed to letting Android/iPhoneOS devices based on high-end ARMs spread to tablet/netbook land), it's still a net win for them in the end.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh... this is a very good thing. Glad I waited.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war