Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yeah, N900 isn't that good for business use imo.

It also doesn't support WPA2-LEAP. Another WONT FIX.
OVI map has no turn by turn and no idea if we'll ever get it.
Music player doesn't even have equalizer.....

N900 is an amazing little machine. Not a great all rounder however.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
Hello everyone,
I have had N810 with Maemo and Mer for a while, then upgraded to Aigo MID.

Recently my Samsung Epix that I have used for work got on my nerves (hangs etc) so I decided it is time to upgrade my phone.
After a little fight with my wife I dropped almost $550 on N900.
I was ready to live with only EDGE connection (stupid AT&T) as long as I would have stable phone with required features (Exchange push support, Wifi and decent web browser).

Unfortunately none of the advertised N900 features work.
802.11x PEAP-MSCHAPV2 with WEP doesn't work and is resolved as WONTFIX (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417) N900 just asks for WEP password and completely ignores the settings I have set for workplace WLAN manually. So WiFi is broken for me.

MfE doesn't seem to support client authentication with personal certificate and it doesnt support provisioning. Therefore it will not work with Exchange at my workplace. So Exchange support is broken for me as well.

So I just paid $550 for a brick. Whats worse is that Maemo developers are not interested in fixing any of these problems.
Therefore I will try to reset this phone to factory settings and return it to Amazon.

It is back to crappy WinMo for me. But at least it works in enterprise environment.My second adventure with Maemo is over in 2 days.

Bye everyone.
Yout hit the spot there bro. The fact that I can not connect to my email at work is a reason mine is collecting dust. I wished I returned it earlier. I bought it from Nokia website for 600 plus...........back to my unlocked iphone. I have to say that no matter how much criticism people levy against iphone: its email works flawlessly. The display is beautiful, and I can search it. Why cant Nokia develop a better software for such essentials?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It's really sad to see the N900 failing in enterprise environments so often. The device isn't markteted in E-series, so it's not an enterprise smartphone, but still, the hardware and OS would be more than capable to work with enterprise environments.

But I think the biggest problem here is that enterprise environment often means Microsoft infrastructure. Of course WinMo shines there. And most other solutions fail horribly because Microsoft doesn't disclose all necessary details for creating reliable clients.

OTOH my company runs an IMAP4-based mail server and I have absolutely no problems with E-Mail on the N900. For me it's a great device for always having my mailbox with me. The same was true with the WinMo phone I had before, but it was awkward to answer mails on that.

Whether the N900 is a viable enterprise smartphone solution highly depends on the infrastructure you have to work with. Traditionally, for Microsoft infrastructures WinMo works best. Calendaring is also an issue that the N900 isn't good at in enterprise environments. For me it's OK, but YMMV.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Why do people complain about every little bit of kit that doesn't work for them? Yes I can understand that you can't access $service or whatever and that it's marked as WONTFIX. Hello you have root on the device. If you wanted to you could probably set it up to work the way you wanted. Would probably be a clunky solution but it would work.

I don't like A LOT of the N900 software stack. But I don't complain... I find ways to replace it or improve it. I don't like the mediaplayer... so I replaced it with xmms2+mplayer+djmount to get the same functionality. And to prevent all the things I'm replacing from taking up space I have a tool(still in development) that replaces the previous pkg with a dummy one.

If all you need is a device that just works without tweaking then get a Symbian device or iPhone or whatever other device you consider the best.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
You could probably set up MAPIProxy to connect to Exchange using certificate authentication while the N900 authenticates to the proxy through UP.

With regards to the wifi, 802.1x PEAP has never been advertised as a feature on the N900, or any other NIT, so please don't slam the N900 as having nothing working.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
You could probably set up MAPIProxy to connect to Exchange using certificate authentication while the N900 authenticates to the proxy through UP.
Great advice on how to get me fired for breaking IT policies.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
With regards to the wifi, 802.1x PEAP has never been advertised as a feature on the N900, or any other NIT, so please don't slam the N900 as having nothing working.
Sure, but it is such a basic thing it is beyond me why it is not supported.
Maybe Maemo devs could use wpa_supplicant instead of trying to reimplement everything from the scratch, badly.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
Yout hit the spot there bro. The fact that I can not connect to my email at work is a reason mine is collecting dust. I wished I returned it earlier. I bought it from Nokia website for 600 plus...........back to my unlocked iphone. I have to say that no matter how much criticism people levy against iphone: its email works flawlessly. The display is beautiful, and I can search it. Why cant Nokia develop a better software for such essentials?
hmmm let me guess.

you need provisioning?

was I correct?!??!? If I was, I am glad to receive a mention of honor about my mind reading skills.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
what I find really interesting about this post is a nice amount of "just joined" posters who use nearly identical language to hate.

I'd say most are the same guy trolling over and over and over and over and over.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Originally Posted by hippo View Post
what I find really interesting about this post is a nice amount of "just joined" posters who use nearly identical language to hate.

I'd say most are the same guy trolling over and over and over and over and over.

Dont be a fool. Didn't you read what the OP said about how he was once a N810 user. Even if you dont believe what he said did it bother you to take a look at when he joined the TMO before opening your mouth? You probably did not know there was any such thing as "maemo" when this guy was playing with his N810 maemo device. Why does anybody who show displeasure/diaapointment in the device gets labeled a troll?

Last edited by x61; 2010-02-15 at 12:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Dont be a fool. Didn't you read what the OP said about how he was once a N810 user. Even if you dont believe what he said did it bother you to take a look at when he joined the TMO before opening your mouth? You probably did not know there was any such thing as "maemo" when this guy was playing with his N810 maemo device. Why does anybody who show displeasure/diaapointment in the device gets labeled a troll?
Its not so much what they say as how they say it.
Sort of "the world is over just because I did not get my exact feature but I love n900".

And then we hear a chorus of newly joined ... "I hate n900 I am selling it".

if somebody wants an exact feature and they are not 100% sure the device has... how about they hold off on buying ...
Especially when it comes to functionality that MS providing

I stand by what I said ... concern trolling at best ... just trolling at worst.

Last edited by hippo; 2010-02-15 at 12:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippo For This Useful Post: