Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't understand the negative feelings here. The position of Maemo/Meego will become stronger, not weaker. It used to be Nokia only, facing competition from vendor-agnostic platforms such as Android. Now it's open and can even run on different architectures. As a consumer, I can stick to what I know (no matter what they call it) but am no longer tied to Nokia hardware. I live it. Really.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
There is another good thing in this merge. From here:

MeeGo is a trademark of Linux Foundation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
omg my rumour i posted early this morning came true WTG Meego

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
omg my rumour i posted early this morning came true WTG Meego
Yes, just saw your rumour in that other thread. Well done!

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland

Given that the strongest reason for this partnership is to pool together resources / experience to make a cross architectural platform, I would think it highly likely that the n900 will receive updates and future support, as the ultimate vision would be for this platform to work on as many devices as possible.

In short, I think that this is really good news

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The MeeGo API is based on Qt and Web Runtime (which sits on top of QtWebKit, which sits on top of Qt). This was/is exactly the API plan for Harmattan (no wonder since MeeGo is a result of merging Maemo and Moblin).

So two conclusions:

- The arrival of MeeGo doesn't change anything in terms of API offered to developers. Except that MeeGo also supports GTK+, while in the Maemo roadmap this toolkit appeared as "community supported". Result = same or better situation than before.

- As soon as Qt 4.6 gets officially supported in Maemo 5, the building blocks to be API compatible with MeeGo will be there.

Translation to end users: getting MeeGo apps to run on top of Maemo 5 shouldn't be a rocket science and maybe they just work. MeeGo will attract more developers to this API = more apps = more joy for N900 users.

About supporting officially the entire MeeGo running on the N900 hardware, it's a business decision and Nokia hasn't communicate the plans. In any case MeeGo is entirely open source, and the hardware adaptation is already in place in Maemo 5. If someone was thinking in running Mer in the N900, now the alternative is run the MeeGo stack instead. Less work on the boring and complex low level stuff and more fun in the layers that really interest to end users.

Some people is saying that now Nokia is moving "to another platform". It's not!

MeeGo is the natural evolution of Maemo, with plenty of common components.
MeeGo is the natural evolution of Moblin, with plenty of common components.

It's just that Maemo and Moblin were sharing so many similarities at a platform level. Please understand this to realize that if you are N900 users or Harmattan-device propective users, your future perspectives only improve with MeeGo.

The Following 107 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
agogo, Alan_Peery, arifsaha, ARJWright, b-man, Baltha, bergie, Blobster2k, Brank, Bundyo, buurmas, cesman, claesbas, dantonic, daperl, Davey101, edgar2, etuoyo, ezcola, fatalsaint, fisuk, fnordianslip, forcer, frals, FranzDages, Gadgety, ggroen, goodfellabk718, hcarrega, HeinzHarald, Hellmur, Helmuth, HomesIckAlien, Inchoately, Jaffa, jcompagner, jkq, johnel, jonquark, kaithomsen, Kajko, kdrozd, Kee, kevloral, kik, kobiblack, kopte3, labra, lma, magnuslu, majesty, makel, maluka, mankir, Mara, Marcels, Martyman, mbo, mobiledivide, Modell900, mrojas, mrp, mr_bridger, Netweaver, nick.read, ossipena, OVK, pansper, patator, PhonoN900, pillar, pycage, quark, ragnar, rajeshlal, range, Rauha, REMFwhoopitydo, RenegadeFanboy, richie, Rob1n, Sasler, sebbe, ShepherdBB, sjgadsby, skalogre, slender, Snoshrk, somedude, sophocha, steph, Strutten, Stskeeps, teranex, theflew, twaelti, Unexplodable, v13, VDVsx, vielfrass, vode, volleydude, voltagex, zehjotkah, zem, zwer
Originally Posted by kirangp View Post
well..I am very much puzzled as how this will do good to the N900 and all the development going on for Maemo? What will happen to developers who are on the verge of starting development for Maemo or who have already started? Nokia just left n900 users in the middle of the sea cause no developer will want to develop any applications for Maemo now
In this video you can listen to Mr Sousou state that all apps developed for Maemo will run on Meego. Check it out at 00:52

http://meego.com/about/overview/big-...steering-group

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
From the MeeGo f.a.q.

Q Will MeeGo use .rpm or .deb as its packaging system?
MeeGo will use the .rpm format
Q Will MeeGo support ARM?
Yes. MeeGo is a multi-platform project supporting the Intel/Atom and ARM architectures. As in any open source project, the community can choose the architecture direction and port the project to additional architectures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
I'm in two minds as to whether to ditch the N900 and go back to Android.
Me too, despite HTC making some dodgy design decisions! The community for Android at XDA is brilliant, and I never had to worry if my G1 would get the next update...

Still going to hold out on the N900; if this is truely open source someone will port the OS if Nokia/Intel do not. Hopefully, Nokia/Intel will use the N900 as a testbed, they have no other device!

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war