Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The word MeeGo will take some getting used to, but at least it's obvious how to pronounce it from the way it's written, unlike Maemo. (Seriously, I think that's important for something to go mainstream).

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by Blobster2k View Post
Secondly, you brought your device for the software it had with it at the time. If Nokia doesn't support MeeGO on the N900, I'm sure they'll carry on with bug fixes
no, not at all - why would a group of staff who have been seconded to work on MeeGo work on bug fixes for a handset that doesn't run MeeGo?

as has already been made light of already in here, Nokia is sidestepping any questions regarding N900 support with MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to oscillik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The word MeeGo will take some getting used to, but at least it's obvious how to pronounce it from the way it's written, unlike Maemo. (Seriously, I think that's important for something to go mainstream).
what, like people who have trouble pronouncing Nokia?

Nok-ia (Europe)
Noe-kia (America)

and Lego

Leg-o (Europe)
Ley-go (America)

It doesn't matter which package format is used. But if MeeGo uses RPM it will be more fedora-centric which doesn't even support ARM as an official port. Debian however supported ARM for years and as a consequence it is more stable.

Looks like the nokia managment is clueless and has no idea of what they're doing. As long as they can proclaim "strategic partnerships with technology giants" everything seems fine.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to uljanow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You don't really expect an answer to that, do you?
You're quite right. My expectations are currently set for very low.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
What I wonder is if MeeGo will be truly open source, i.e., there will be no proprietary code, such as devices state management, which will be added by Nokia when creating a release for a specific device.

If they do include proprietary parts, it will be difficult to make a MeGoo release for the N900, if Nokia decides not to upgrade the N900 from M5 to MeGoo.

Qgil, any insight on this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinsh For This Useful Post:
I was going to purchase the N900 today, however with this news I am uncertain what the future will be.

Looks like I'm stuck with my N82 until some more news comes out!

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
oh please could every one stop clutching at straws and not turn this into another doom and gloom N900 thread and just discuss or celebrate what is awesome news MEEGO

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I think It would be x86 based(even if they support ARM too) so it means no M6 for N900, doesnt it?

found on
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359259,00.asp

Oistano pointed to Nokia's N900, a Linux-based smartphone introduced last year, as an example of devices that would benefit from MeeGo.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war