Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by mpsi View Post
The name must be a joke: "me" + "ego" = ?
I haven't read the whole thread so pardon me if this comment has been made before. I think it's a shortened "amigo".

Wait wait wait wait. What's this I hear about Meego/Maemo moving to RPM? God, I hope not. Debian's packaging system is vastly superior. Please Nokia! Please stick with APT & dpkg!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by vintc View Post
I hope...meego will apply at N900..if not, i kill myself
Don't kill yourself over a phone, dude!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
what will come first? The end of this thread or Meego?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Playing devil's advocate... what will people do if MeeGo doesn't make it to the N900? I mean, it is step 4 out of 5.

Just curious.
Does" step 4 out of 5" still have a place in the face of meego?

mullf: I´m joking i´m afraid of. meego will need great programers and great apps and for maemo?? nothing?? it will be end of maemo, i hope not

Playing devil's advocate... what will people do if MeeGo doesn't make it to the N900? I mean, it is step 4 out of 5.

Just curious.
Buy step 5....

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Though I'm most familiar with and so prefer using rpms, and I don't see where one package system has a significant technical advantage over the other, I can understand how longtime Debian-flavor users might feel upset. It's kinda like having to buy a Nissan when you've always had Toyotas.

All I can really say to that is...Fear not! It's just not a big deal. I have no problem switching between the 2 systems. You won't either.

The only significant technical problem I've seen expressed is ARM-compatible rpms or the lack thereof. A legitimate concern I suppose. But I think people here aren't taking into consideration the truly massive effort a combined Nokia/Intel/Linux Foundation coalition could throw at the problem. A concentrated attack by those forces could wipe that out pretty quickly. They could get a whole lotta compilin' goin' on in a hurry. End of problem. And no doubt Nokia & their new friends already have a plan of action in place to do just that.

So relax, enjoy your N900s and smile. This is gonna get good! Soon we'll all look even more brilliant than we already did for choosing Maemo over those Brand X OSs.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:

Just curious.
Honestly as wrong as it sounds, i don't care. Ok i'm a gadget lover and i buy a new phone every 6-8 months, but also because of that i really don't start from the assumption that the device will get full support after +1 year(it's just norm in the SE, Nokia, LG and Samsung world while Nokia is by far best keeping the device alive compared to these).
All the signs where clear and visible even before N900 got announced. There where some reviews i remember at the start of N900 release that where talking a bit too much when they actually didn't know anything about it. I guess that's partly why some are disappointed and i of course understand that because why wouldn't people ask long support for their +500 euros device.

That said i'm sounding like MeeGo isn't coming to N900. We just don't know yet

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Playing devil's advocate... what will people do if MeeGo doesn't make it to the N900?
Keep having Good Time installing all those new apps that come out for MeeGo on their N900s. QT 4.6 ported to Maemo 5 means we can still run at least most new goodies. Since it's a trivial matter to make both debs and rpms from the same software, I gotta think most apps will be made available in both formats for quite a while.

No problem.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-02-15 at 20:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war