Notices

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
The unit settings page was a little confusing at first, but I got the hang of it just by playing around with it. My sense is that you can probably leave the layout as is and see if the documentation is adequate. But if you are still getting feedback about the settings layout, you should consider adding headers (maybe in smaller font) to delineate the sections on the left-most column on the page.

Categories
Area
Length

Saved Conversions

Fahrenheit-Celsius
Mile per Hour - Kilometre...
Yes, I thought about something like this, but the screen space is really limited. But I agree, it's fairly crowded. One way would be to change the category from a list to a cycle button, but that would make it slower.The latest version (0.8-6) has proper documentation. Let's see if that is enough.

One other set of conversions you should consider implementing is clothing and shoe size conversions. I think that the tricky thing with that is that they may not have set conversion factors--I think you would have to rely on conversion tables for those cases.
I thought about adding them, but after reading about it from the internet, I came to the conclusion that it might be really complicated as there are no real fixed standards. The common advice seem to be to try it before you buy it.

I personally have found out that the best practice when travelling, is simply to ask the person working in the store to help me out to find my size. Not only are they usually able to find the correct size, but they are also able to give me valuable advice like: "Sir, you really do not want to wear something like that. Trust me." A program could never be able to do something like that!

Otherwise, great job!
Thanks

Last edited by Sasler; 2010-02-14 at 18:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
I'm happy to announce that the version 0.6-1 made it to Extras. Thank you for the votes.

The version 0.8-7 is now in Extras-testing. Please test it and vote for it here.

Cheers!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
I've just upgraded to the latest version. Having VND in there by default is especially useful for me now, considering I am in Hanoi

The Following User Says Thank You to JustCallMeJoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I'm happy to announce that the version 0.6-1 made it to Extras. Thank you for the votes.

The version 0.8-7 is now in Extras-testing. Please test it and vote for it here.

Cheers!
I think this all great and will vote, but I still prefer to see the tip/tax amount in a readable font size and/or color. Hope that's coming. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to sorodoros For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
I think this all great and will vote, but I still prefer to see the tip/tax amount in a readable font size and/or color. Hope that's coming. Thanks!
Yeah, I didn't have the time to do that yet. I will see what I can do about it in the next release.

Currency Converter 0.8-7 has enough votes now. Thank you for all who voted.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Sasler,

Great progress on this app. As I've probably mentioned before, it is not only very useful but very polished!

A couple of minor suggestions:
1. On the unit conversion screen, you should swap the positions of the "Currency" and "Next Unit" buttons in order to maintain consistency with the layout on the currency screen
2. Also on the main unit conversion screen, you should grey out the "Tip" and "Tax" buttons. I tried calculating a tip, but pressing the button did not work until I realized that I was on the Unit screen and not the Currency screen. Greying out those buttons on the Unit screen should eliminate confusion
3. You should update the help screens to reflect that you have many more currencies available now

Again, great job!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Sasler,

Great progress on this app. As I've probably mentioned before, it is not only very useful but very polished!

A couple of minor suggestions:
1. On the unit conversion screen, you should swap the positions of the "Currency" and "Next Unit" buttons in order to maintain consistency with the layout on the currency screen
2. Also on the main unit conversion screen, you should grey out the "Tip" and "Tax" buttons. I tried calculating a tip, but pressing the button did not work until I realized that I was on the Unit screen and not the Currency screen. Greying out those buttons on the Unit screen should eliminate confusion
3. You should update the help screens to reflect that you have many more currencies available now

Again, great job!
Thanks
  1. There is actually only one main screen. Only the button text is changed when switching between currencies and units. But maybe I could have a dedicated Switch and Next button. I have to think of that.
  2. Yes, I agree. Initially I had Tax and Tip buttons functional while in Unit mode, but that was silly. But, if I remember correctly, in Maemo 5 design guidelines it was pointed out that disabling buttons was not supported (or recommended, I can't remember which). But I could just hide them or something.
  3. In the main help page it says that there are "more than 70 preset currencies". This was not there originally when there were about 30. But do you think I should have it more visible?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep them on mind. I also need to figure out something clever for the too small tax and tip text. However, I'm now waiting for the next firmware (PR1.2) version with Qt 4.6 framework as this app is done with the current 4.5. There is a possibility that I need to repack/fix it before it works well (or at all). So that is my priority now. Try to make sure that it works and, if not, release an update as soon as possible.

Great app. Just a couple of suggestions/questions.

1. Any chance of adding the Nigerian currency (Naira)? There are quite a few African countries on there but seems strange to be missing the currency for by far the most populous African country. I know you can add custom currencies and I have added it myself but each time I go back it has disappeared (maybe it only happens after a switch off or hard reset but still frustrating to have to keep readding).

2. On the former version when you add currency you could use any other currency to set the rate. However, on the latest version it has to be either Euro or dollars. Not ideal for me as I need to use Pound to determine Naira rate and this was what I did previously. Of course I can use the Pound to Euro rate to work out the Euro to Naira rate but seems alot of calculation to go into for each new currency and especially since the new currencies seem to disappear from the application.

Last edited by etuoyo; 2010-02-22 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Great app. Just a couple of suggestions/questions.

1. Any chance of adding the Nigerian currency (Naira)? There are quite a few African countries on there but seems strange to be missing the currency for by fat the most populous African country. I know you can add custom currencies and I have added it myself but each time I go back it has disappeared (maybe it only happens after a switch off or hard reset but still frustrating to have to keep readding).

2. On the former version when you add currency you could use any other currency to set the rate. However, on the latest version it has to be either Euro or dollars. Not ideal for me as I need to use Pound to determine Naira rate and this was what I did previously. Of course I can use the Pound to Euro rate to work out the Euro to Naira rate but seems alot of calculation to go into for each new currency and especially since the new currencies seem to disappear from the application.
Thanks
  1. It should retain the custom currencies. However, in the past few updates I had to reset the currencies, so they were lost. But I hope in future updates I don't have to do that any more.
  2. No, it used to be Euro only, now it is also US Dollar. Is Naira pegged to the Pound?