I am upset that Meego will not run on my new N900 got it last week. I am thinking of return and wait for next series.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
They are, that you think they aren't shows how little you know. Everything that is closed is in user space, the kernel is fully open even if not all drivers are upstream yet.
Thanks for correcting me. And yes it may show how little I know but no need to be condescending.

The Following User Says Thank You to G66J For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
soo one question.

will the n900 get meeGo.

'YES' or 'NO'

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by openfone View Post
One of the major reasons I bought a n900 over an iPhone was the ethos of apple releasing a new OS/upgrade and then forcing you to buy a new phone as well. I will be very very unhappy if Nokia does the same.
I wouldn't hold your breath. Versions of Maemo have been pretty hardware-specific so far & Nokia hasn't put forth the effort to backport OR continue to fix bugs on old OS versions. Not saying you won't be pleasantly surprised, but your best bet, I think, is:

* Getting community support for the OS one day (Mer?)
* Getting more N900 apps due to the Qt compatibility (crumbs that fall from the MeeGo table, so to speak)

Originally Posted by DaveR53 View Post
Maemo 6 looked to mainly be a progression of Maemo 5, so I'd assume that if you are using the same libraries for your application, it's likely it will work on both Maemo 5 and 6/MeeGo.
I'd be careful about making assumptions. I have not heard anyone make binary compatibility commitments.

Originally Posted by DaveR53 View Post
Look at most Linux distributions, Ubuntu 8 applications don't just stop working because Ubuntu 9 is out, aslong as the userland toolkits (gtk/qt) are up to date it should 'just work'.
You mean like the way Maemo 5 packages 'just work' on Maemo 4?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
soo one question.

will the n900 get meeGo.

'YES' or 'NO'
It's funny how this very important question is being constantly ignored by Nokia.

Except for simple one liners about being able to use MeeGo apps on the N900. Whooopie.

Answer the damn question Nokia !

SAD.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
It's funny how this very important question is being constantly ignored by Nokia.
Has it occurred to anyone that they might simply not know yet?

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Ontario, Canada
I am thinking of sending this e-mail to Nokia...

What do you guys think???

What's going to happen to the N900 with the new Meego?

I have been putting in a good word everywhere about my new phone and will be extremely upset if it is outdated within a year with the coming of Meego.

I understand that Meego is an evolution of Maemo. But if you knew that Meego was coming, why did you sell the N900 with Maemo 5? Why didn't you wait? Why did you sell to us a product (maemo) which was gonna be the last of its kind and give us hopes that there will be so much software, support AND BRAND RECOGNITION for it?

I want Meego on my phone. I want my Maemo to be called Meego because I did not buy spend $800 Canadian to buy a phone that was going to be outdated within a few months.

If that is the case, consider this my last purchase from Nokia ever!

I know it is too early to determine what you will do with the N900... but be assured that I am the only one in my community of friends and co-workers that owns a Nokia N900. I have constantly been telling off people with Blackberries and iPhones that Nokia product is better.

But if Nokia doesn't support the wish of its N900 customers, then be assured that I will spread my horrible experience with Nokia until the day I die!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EMAD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that they might simply not know yet?
Nokia surely could know if they will support an upgrade to Meego on N900... in my opinion they didn't decided yet to commit with the upgrade or not!!

For now at least the official statements were somewhat evasive... N900 was mentioned but only regarding the increase of available applications due Qt.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Nokia surely could know if they will support an upgrade to Meego on N900... in my opinion they didn't decided yet to commit with the upgrade or not!!

For now at least the official statements were somewhat evasive... N900 was mentioned but only regarding the increase of available applications due Qt.
They are afraid if they say "no" to a MeeGo upgrade on the N900 it will hurt sales.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:

Tags
just a bunch of