Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Sure, there could always be an alternative or community-based "MerGo" distribution or few, but the Intel/Moblin team is still in charge of the official, supported MeeGo platform.

Just yesterday I came across a new-fangled edition of Android which was released by some enterprising pseudonym-using russian hacker. Some XDA-based hackers/crackers (no disrespect intended) will load it no questions asked, as will a few unwashed newbies, but personally I'd be very wary/aware of potential foul play.

Same uncertainty principle will apply to most unsupervised variations on the MeeGo theme, meaning that the Intel/Moblin team — as managers of the platform core — will still wield major control on the ARM side support and development of MeeGo.
There are going to be a lot more eyes on this than those of a lone Russian hacker.

http://www.arm.com/community/partners/all_partners.php

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
I think it is a great move. The one advantage Android had over Maemo was that it could be licensed by other manufacturers while Maemo was exclusive to Nokia. That advantage is gone. That should bring in more third party interest, both from software and hardware developers. I expect my N900 to last me about three years. I foresee it running Maemo for the first 1.5 to 2 years. I will probably switch to MeeGo for the third. Then I will probably want to get a new device with more hardware resources.
that was more or less my point about ten pages back, it seems to have escaped the notice of just about everyone else.

Nokia MWC Tweet Q&A updated with 14:30-14:45 session

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=529804&postcount=2

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
I have easy question...here is a lot of about maemo, intel, meego etc. but..nobody told me one thing...what this all means for me, for owner N900??? No more applications or updates? Maybe less care for owners N900? I donīt panic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vintc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by vintc View Post
I have easy question...here is a lot of about maemo, intel, meego etc. but..nobody told me one thing...what this all means for me, for owner N900??? No more applications or updates? Maybe less care for owners N900? I donīt panic
There's absolutely no impact on the end users. Instead of panicking over whether Maemo 6 will come to the N900, or whether support for Maemo 5 will be dropped when Maemo 6 is released, we can panic about whether MeeGo will come to the N900....

In either case, the important thing is that both Maemo 5 and MeeGo will be using the Qt4.6 framework for most new applications. This should make it easier to write applications to run on both platforms, so even if Maemo 5 support is dropped, we should still be able to run a lot of the MeeGo applications.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Originally Posted by vintc View Post
EXACTLY !

So many threads, tweets, blogs, etc., all saying different things.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I also sincerely believe that the "community" is overestimating itself heavily.
Tom, I agree with most/all of your post, but just quoting this one sentence.

Your stance sounds more like the Intel/Moblin way of seeing things. Nokia was the one to emphasise the importance of having a community of users, not only the technical ones. Right or wrong, they put their money where their mouth was, and were quite successful at it. So it's only normal that those users, part of the community, expect Nokia to bring that asset to the MeeGo merger (along with Qt and the Harmattan UI), as Intel is expected to contribute the platform stuff.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Your stance sounds more like the Intel/Moblin way of seeing things. Nokia was the one to emphasise the importance of having a community of users, not only the technical ones. Right or wrong, they put their money where their mouth was, and were quite successful at it. So it's only normal that those users, part of the community, expect Nokia to bring that asset to the MeeGo merger (along with Qt and the Harmattan UI), as Intel is expected to contribute the platform stuff.
QFT. If Nokia planned to ditch us they should never have encouraged us on board in the first place. Since they did, they at least owe us the courtesy of telling us end-users what our place will be (if any) in this brave new world.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
I was wondering why samsung decided to make bada, now I know hy. Nokia really is confused about what consumers need/want, and it'll only be a matter of time before the competition steps it up and targets nokia's marketshare.

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
What I'm saying is that, for example, the maintainer of RPM is a fulltime RedHat employee.
Of course, so is the maintainer of glibc. There's really nothing scarier about RPM coming from a non-Nokia upstream than there is about any other part of the OS coming from non-Nokia upstreams.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war