Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Name should have been "Maemoblin". Right?
That's nine letters. In todays branding that's like asking people to read complete works of Chekov.

At least 40% of focus group was asleep after first syllable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
Am I the only one here with an average phone lifespan of 6 months. I can go up to a year, but after that time I usually want something new.
Why?

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Why?
Simply because the products available after a year will routinely outshine what I already have. Here's my development path since the iPhone v1 came out: iPhone 1 (had it 1 year) -> iPhone 2 (had it less than a year) -> HTC Hero (had it for 4 months) -> N900 (had it for 3 months and counting).

I've recycled all of the aforementioned phones though. They are all in use by people I know, who paid decent money for them (except my dad, who got a gen 1 iPhone for free, but he gave me a house a few years ago, so I find it hard to milk him for cash).

I do admit there is a certain amount of gadget-love involved as well...

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmm. I think that N900 should be treated more or less as computer. I still have my 5 years old laptop and pentium 4 desktop machine and they still make everything that i ask from them. Actually after browser speed race they have become more useful to me.

Maybe we are just different breed :P

.edit
Before this I had Nokia 6021 which doesn't have GPS, Camera, mp3 player. Had that for about 4 years and still happy with it. Actually it's much much faster as phone than my N900 :P

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
It's that I'm no longer sure I shall belong.

The moblin 'community' is basically made up of intel employees.
The moblin 'community' has expressed interest in working with the Maemo developer community.
But the Maemo community was the same at the beginning. There were three mailing lists, then a planet, then downloads, then ..., then ....

MeeGo.com is a current placeholder necessary to have enough to convince investors there is a viable platform here: Nokia and Intel have collaborated on what's necessary to build a shippable product and said to anyone interested (i.e. primarily the Moblin and Maemo communities), "now, how do we run the community aspects"?

So far so good. But maemo.org is made up not only of developers and highly technically knowlegdeable people. Maemo.org includes, supports and values end users. Average bears.
Indeed, and I expect these to be in whatever space the MeeGo community interacts.

Now, end users are a mixed blessing. We make a lot of noise and chatter. Some of us are useful contributers but frankly, some of us are not. A quick wander through t.m.o. quickly reveals the downside as well as the upside of having end users around. Heck, let's be honest, there are people in maemo.org who'd like to get rid of us! One or two individuals who would happily kill the forum completely to get back to the 'heart' of the comunity as they see it. (And I suspect they're already suggesting that Meego might provide just that opportunity.)
It's worth bearing in mind that there are no MeeGo users yet, and until there are things will be more technical. That's why there are concerted thoughts and efforts going into shaping how the MeeGo community will/can/could deal with that influx of users when Harmattan ships.

And this is where the Maemo community have the expertise.

There are wise people saying that it's 'up to us' to shape the future, to decide what we want Meego to be. But is it? Honestly? If Intel said to Nokia "We want your community but get rid of the end users" would Nokia refuse? Would Maemo?
But what would that mean? And I think you're looking at Intel with slightly squinty eyes - it's in the interests of everyone working on a next-gen (or next-next-gen in the case of MeeGo ;-)) mobile platform to have as large a community as possible.

Maemo's community, Qt and being the world's largest phone manufacturer are the three largest things Nokia are bringing to MeeGo!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Maemoblin, Maeblin, mobmo (but not 'moblo')... meego sounds like a 2 yearold with a full nappy (diaper).

(actually, I quite like 'maeblin')
Maeblin, why can't you be true
Oh Maeblin, why can't you be true
You've started back doing the things
You used to do

Chuck Berry

The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
beleive me, you don't want it to be called maeblin, or even maemoblin
['blin] in russian is "pancake", and ['jeblin] - *censored*

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Moblin:

Miga:

(2010 Olympics Mascot)

Meego?

Last edited by qole; 2010-02-17 at 00:46. Reason: formatting

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have only one thing to say...

"Time heals everything"

See you guys on the other side (meego.com)

End of Maemo, Maemo replaced by Intel's Moblin

What share in MeeGo goes to Nokia ?

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war