Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Queens, New York
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I'm in my girlfriend more often than that and she still ignores me most of the time so that doesn't mean much.

Also, don't you think it would be highly unprofessional of you to use your professional/customer connections in order to convey your consumer concerns?

I can only imagine if a vendor came to me and wanted to bring up some 'open letter' he had crayola'd together with a bunch of anonymous people on the internet...Don't think I'd be using his services again.
Although I think your first comment is quite hilarious, thank you for that, I have to firmly disagree with you. There's nothing unprofessional at all about a business relationship being used as an advantageous channel to address consumer issues with a company's product or service. Any channel available to someone should be used as much as possible! When is the last time you saw any major effort on a company's part based upon a single consumer complaint?! It never happens... that's why fortunately sometimes someone has a foot in the door and it allows him or her to get something addressed that is otherwise ignored or just pushed off to the side for "later review"

I often get product enhancements or design flaws addressed because I happen to be in contact with someone in the company on a regular basis. Any and all outlet to effect change is GOOD!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanielT For This Useful Post:
Listen... I would be EXCITED for such a move if I did not OWN an n900... But now that I do own one... I can't help but feel disappointed... I can't help but feel that now the "flagship" phone is going to get bumped down (only been out a few months) on their priority list and once the new MeeGo devices pop out from Nokia it will even force the n900 further down. That is my problem. I feel like the life of this device has been shortened prematurely. Other than that I am interested to see the future but sad that I just bought this phone 2 weeks ago. I would have waited had I of known about this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shervin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Hi Groeit, i just want to thank you for your engagement after reading the hate of the know-it-all types. You never know what's coming out of it until you try.
We just shouldn't expect a revolution - but speaking of me i only want Nokia to take a stand. I think they should play with open cards and tell us clearly what they want the future of the n900 to look like - so i appreciate your initiative.

Groeit, you asked for support, so i'll try to be constructive. I'll list some points i think should go into the letter. Of course it should be factual and we should try to not make it look like we want to threaten them, if we want to be taken seriously.

IMHO the main purpose of the letter should be to ask for clarification about whether Nokia will bring MeeGo to the N900.

It could also provide some possible disadvantages for Nokia if they do not plan MeeGo support for our beloved gadget.

E.g. I don't see a good future for enthusiastic community support if half of the current developer base is left behind. They should not want to destroy our trust.

I might subscribe the letter in the end. After reading it. ;-)

Woohoo! good vibes to the forums!

Edit: Since i think some people have misunderstood our concerns. This is not about wanting to have the newest and most shiny OS for the N900, but about the want to have a device that is relevant for a reasonable amount of time.

--
Grober Unfug? Feiner Fug!

Last edited by gobuki; 2010-02-16 at 20:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gobuki For This Useful Post:
In Turkey, we say "if you say something 40 times, it will happen".

I'm scared if there is a tiny little bit of truth in this saying, as this "meego will not run on N900" is mentioned about 40k times (still counting) in maemo forums.

Why can't people just be patient and see what days will bring?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Simurg,
i bought 14 n900 devices for my team at work, hoping to be able to use it as a portable computer (we're all tech savvy and we know what we're doing with it). I am reasonably happy with it, and as we'll be considering move back to RIM (we've got already BES, no sign of that being ported on n900). That said I was a strong lobbyist of n900 for the whole company (32k employees, 99% with company blackberries). I'm happy i decided to get it for the team only, as an experiment.
I need to plan my moves a good year ahead, and (where I work) I am responsible for hi-tech market. As much as from hardware side i knew about n900 , changes etc... I wasnt aware of the software implications.
More - I didn't even pay for my n900 from my own pocket. I'm just being concerned as I do not wish nokia will make even more stupid decisions that will loose them thousands of customers.

@gobuki - thanks for support!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to groeit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Romania, Bucharest
why am I afraid writing a letter to nokia here is like fuc*ing for virginity...? 80% of this forum's readers are n900 users, what else should we hope for ??

on the other hand, haven't you heard the man today saying they have not decided yet?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Well what I can only say is that sending them such an email will not harm anyone. And 'we haven't decided yet' means - depends how much it will cost us. Basically.

Originally Posted by groeit View Post
And a newsflash; cisco won't be porting their voice application to N900 either.
Cisco doesn't need to port the SCCP client. My N800 works fine using the standard SIP client, in the Communications Manager ver 7. Also tried with 5, 6 and the beta of 8 and works with no problems.

Oh, and it also supports the presence status.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Last edited by mrojas; 2010-02-16 at 23:27.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I still use an n800 daily even if Nokia dropped suport some time ago. Guess what people still develop for it, updates still come, and usable mer (maybe with 3d acc.) is just around the corner.
Well said. This is why manufacturers dropping support for older products as they release new ones is of little concern to those who have been using open source software for any length of time.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by groeit View Post
Dear all,

Probably some of you are let down by how Nokia handles the people that spent £500 on a device that will be (Just so people won't start beating me up here I would like to change "will be" to "may be") dropped with next software update.
I've been working with Nokia for the past 8 years, and I have the privilege to address the issues to high ranked executives in that Monster Corporation.
Hence I would like to ask you, fellow users, to contribute to this open letter that will be sent to them.

Thing that will be included:
1) Will or will not n900 support MeeGo, if not what will happen to maemo5.

I for once will be probably dropping nokia as my device supplier. Not for the reasons of not liking the device, but the company policies. Also, if you would be kind enough to sign under this letter (or let me use you signature for the purpose of it) it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.
I completely agree. Call him troll or whatever you like but the sad truth is that Nokia doing what Groeit is suggesting they might would be them following a pattern and certainly not a surprise on any level for me.

The N900 is a fantastic device, but it is not finished. The basic functionality is seriously undermined by half-hearted attempts at the communications software which although full of flourishes of brilliance, is seriously under-specified.

Nokia do not communicate their intentions re: device support properly, if at all. There have been numerous phones in the past (N93 for example) which have had support promised for them only to be left unfinished, buggy and unstable. The N900 hardware is such that there is just no excuse (save poor planning, lack of interest or lack of profit) for not keeping it current and bringing new OSes to it.

Nokia have not really ever given cast iron assurances the N900 will ever be finished. Sure there've been a number of firmware updates so far but everything in the future is left to rumour, speculation and extrapolation by end-users. Nokia need to stop the marketing double-talk and just level with their customers.

A prime example is the fact that even as I write this I have no idea when the firmware update will come for my UK Vodafone N900, nor why when the rest of the world already seem to have it we don't. Nokia could and should be better than this... there IS a reason why Apple have done so well... they understand their market and how to communicate with it (/whip it into a frenzy)!

Last edited by stopgap; 2010-02-17 at 00:32. Reason: spelling error

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post: