Active Topics

I bought a SanDisk 1Gb RS-MMC card from Amazon for my 770 just over a year ago and it recently went corrupt. As SanDisk offer a 5 year warranty I have been trying to get it replaced. However, after much correspondence including photographs they have informed me that the card is a fake because:

"...There is no blue sticker on the card, no serial numbers and the gold contacts are totaly different from the regular 1GB card."

Does anyone else have a SanDisk RS-MMC card that confirm whether this is true or if they are just trying to fob me off. The packaging the card came in is very convincing as it includes a SanDisk flyer and two RFID tags. If I'd bought it from Amazon Marketplace I'd be inclined to believe them, but it was bought from Amazon itself.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
You may be able to resurrect the card. I also had a 1 G MMC go bad on me several months ago. I tried to reformat it several ways, but it just wouldn't work. Just a few days ago a friend of mine gave me his old TREO600, which takes MMC cards. It was able to reformat it no problem. I haven't tried to use it again with the n800 or 770, but at least there is hope?

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by gowen View Post
I bought a SanDisk 1Gb RS-MMC card from Amazon for my 770 just over a year ago and it recently went corrupt. As SanDisk offer a 5 year warranty I have been trying to get it replaced. However, after much correspondence including photographs they have informed me that the card is a fake because:

"...There is no blue sticker on the card, no serial numbers and the gold contacts are totaly different from the regular 1GB card."

Does anyone else have a SanDisk RS-MMC card that confirm whether this is true or if they are just trying to fob me off. The packaging the card came in is very convincing as it includes a SanDisk flyer and two RFID tags. If I'd bought it from Amazon Marketplace I'd be inclined to believe them, but it was bought from Amazon itself.
Well you should report it to Amazon.

I did. Their long and very gracious reply basically said sort it out with SanDisk. When I get a moment I'll have another correspondence session with the two companies.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
I do have several 1gig Sandisk RS-MMC cards bought from CDW about the same time as yours. All mine are black, the side opposite the contacts has the logo, 1.0GB, RS-MMC and a small solid triangle printed on it. All in white. The other side has the contacts, the word "TAIWAN" and a nine place serial number. The contacts are yellow/gold. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Peter

Dishonest people that make fake cards suck. Pictureline has a news article that tells you how to distinguish a fake.

http://www.pictureline.com/newslette...cle.php?id=401

Here are some more too...

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...t-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001456539?ssPageName=BUYG D:CAT:-1:SEARCH:3

http://search.reviews.ebay.com.au/Compact-Flash-Card

http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi

http://www.usrbingeek.com/a/000795.php

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The key indicator at this time appears to be the holographic sticker on the authentic packaging. Sellers should be asked to provide a picture showing it-- of course, nothing stops them from providing a boilerplate photo...

This sucks. It's gonna impact my SNDK shares...

Just for the record. It turns out, that as I suspected from the quality of the packaging, the memory was not fake after all. After getting a response from Amazon (who said "talk to SanDisk"), I found that SanDisk had added a response along the lines of: "We have been reviewing the design of older cards and they appear to match yours. Can you send us some higher resolution photographs of your card...".

I couldn't get a good photo of the card because I couldn't focus close enough to get a full frame, so I scanned it instead. When I reviewed the scan and the the card a serial number had appeared. I checked the original photos and no serial number was visible, so I can only assume that the heat or UV light from the scanning head had affected the ink making it more reflective and therefore visible against the matt black card.

So I sent this number to SanDisk and the card has now been replaced.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you are sure you are right and it's not costing you anything, stick with it!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Glad you had a positive resolution, gowen, and nice work on the scanner tip!

Originally Posted by gowen View Post
Just for the record. It turns out, that as I suspected from the quality of the packaging, the memory was not fake after all. After getting a response from Amazon (who said "talk to SanDisk"), I found that SanDisk had added a response along the lines of: "We have been reviewing the design of older cards and they appear to match yours. Can you send us some higher resolution photographs of your card...".

I couldn't get a good photo of the card because I couldn't focus close enough to get a full frame, so I scanned it instead. When I reviewed the scan and the the card a serial number had appeared. I checked the original photos and no serial number was visible, so I can only assume that the heat or UV light from the scanning head had affected the ink making it more reflective and therefore visible against the matt black card.

So I sent this number to SanDisk and the card has now been replaced.

I guess the moral of the story is: if you are sure you are right and it's not costing you anything, stick with it!
Great tip and glad to know they replaced the memory!