Active Topics

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
I need a car charger in a hurry and can't track down the Nokia DC-4 in town (Mpls-St. Paul).

Does anyone know of a good alternative mobile charger for car use?

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
go for USB and CA-100 (Not sure)
Fred

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Zhe View Post
I need a car charger in a hurry and can't track down the Nokia DC-4 in town (Mpls-St. Paul).

Does anyone know of a good alternative mobile charger for car use?
Check a few of those generic phone chargers, the ones that come with a selection of tips. Odds are one or more of those have an adapter for new Nokias in the package. If you're lucky, you'll find the adapter in a car charger, otherwise you might be forced to buy both an AC charger (with the adapter) and a Nokia-old-style car charger.

Staples sold me a generic Nokia charger for $7 with the right tip, the "Just Wireless" brand. Works quite well!

I have found both Travel Chargers and Car Chargers at our local CompuUSA and Office Depot on clearence. I paid $1 to $2 each. Most of the new Nokia phones use the same charger as the N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to harliquin For This Useful Post:
Check the voltage ov the car charger. It should be at least 5V. The Nokia car charger I bought today is spec'ed at 5.7V, works fine. Chargers for older phones may not work, just like my old Nokia phone charger (with the old plug+adapter) doesn't charge the N800, the voltage is probably less than 5V.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Check the voltage ov the car charger. It should be at least 5V. The Nokia car charger I bought today is spec'ed at 5.7V, works fine. Chargers for older phones may not work, just like my old Nokia phone charger (with the old plug+adapter) doesn't charge the N800, the voltage is probably less than 5V.
With the N800, anything from 4.8 volts works (that's charging from 4 rechargeable AAs). I haven't tried the top voltage, being somewhat averse to using my only N800 as a guinea pig.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Minnesota
Thanks for the info, everyone.