Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Oh and one last point - I have searched and searched for the thread of moral outrage that took place when people discovered they could get the angry birds download for free. I can't find it. it seems people are only moral to a point and the stealing of software is apparently well within that point.
There wasn't a thread as such, but there was definitely a good deal of moral outrage on the Angry Birds thread when people were boasting about having downloaded it without paying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Well I see he has the source code for the games for sale. I've bought one of them, and I'll just post it here for everyone.

What? That's not bad right? I mean, there's nothing stopping me from doing it, so I don't think it should be such an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Well, that's a view, but I think you're wrong. You can't legislate for people deliberately choosing to act badly, and you shouldn't have to. He can't possibly have been under any illusion that what he was doing was anything other than an abuse of the process, and that really is enough.
Ok now you are making the assumption that everyone sees the world as you do, you can't expect everyone to see right and wrong as you do. That's why clearly documented rules are important in both society and here. You have no way of knowing what his thoughts were when he did what he did. Perhaps his sole thought was to get his product out to the market the only way he could and that since the ovi store was not functional then getting it into extras as soon as possible was good for both him and the community that has time and time expressed a desire for commercial games of higher quality than the free ones.

Oh and laughingstock I think you will find the CLEARLY DEFINED rules within the agreement for purchase of that source code prevent you from doing any such thing. But feel free to give it a shot - I look forwards to the lawsuit thread
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Because ultimately Nokia is responsible. Look he shortcut the process - there is no question about that. Wasn't a cool thing to do but it also wasn't against the rules, so by the letter of the law (and no I am not a lawyer) he did nothing wrong.
But think about this it could have gone this way instead.

Dev Hears about maemo -> decides to port his product to platform -> ports product -> pays money to Nokia for rights to publish to store -> publishes product to correctly functioning store.

End of story. No thread here, no questionable practices, no moral outrage. All because Nokia did the correct thing and FIXED THE GODDAMN STORE.
Still nothing to do with Maemo.org repository rules and responsibility, policies and trust what is given here to dev's.

This is your mind game and yes this could be case if Nokia had managed to start their Store. And i´m also bit pissed because of their slow progress. But i do not see why on earth it would all this be Nokias fault. It's different totally different thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Clearly defined and circumventing are a matter of opinion. That's what I was trying to point out. THe fact that a single user can only vote once is a pretty "Clearly defined" limitation. Just because theres a loophole allowing someone to create multiple accounts to push their point does not mean its right.

Same thing. Just because I bought a copy of some source code and its "clearly defined" that I did indeed pay for one copy does not mean the same loophole doesnt exist when it comes to posting it all over the web.

Obvioulsy I havent bought any source code nor do I plan on it. But my point still stands. There were "clearly defined" limitations set when he discovered he could only vote once with one account.

Just because I jiggle a door handle and find it unlocked does not mean I should walk in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
There wasn't a thread as such, but there was definitely a good deal of moral outrage on the Angry Birds thread when people were boasting about having downloaded it without paying.
Exactly, there were two different groups of users involved there...

Many of the people who first downloaded the pack were simply using well established and normal methods to access a repository. There wasn't anything to alert them that they were acting against the wishes of the system operator until they dug a little deeper. At which point the thread started and people realised what happened. I'm sure that the Rovio guys bear this group no ill-will

The second group of users were those who had read the threads discussing the problem and choosing deliberately to avoid paying. These guys were acting immorally.

The actions of this Sio guy fall squarely into the same class as the second group above.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Oh and one last point - I have searched and searched for the thread of moral outrage that took place when people discovered they could get the angry birds download for free. I can't find it. it seems people are only moral to a point and the stealing of software is apparently well within that point.
I do not know others but I´m strongly against that and if i correctly remember I made some nice comment to user who is from our dear neighbour country.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
This seems to have run exactly as it should:
- Developer does bad thing,
- Bad thing gets caught,
- Bad thing gets reverted, and developer is asked to account for themselves.

Exactly which part of this process shouldn't have happened?
Well, it kind of turned into a public shaming. That can be a valid action in some cases, but it shouldn't be anything but a last resort. That's why I think we need a formal process of some sort.

And as far as the blaming Nokia part, that's just silly. If that was a valid argument in any case, anywhere, then parents would be getting executed for the actions of their children. That's not even worth an argument truthfully.

Granted, I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion and people should leave it well enough alone. The guy messed up, he psuedo apologized but obviously doesn't care, and he has that right.

Honestly, my personal opinion is I could give a ****. I think the games are shitty anyways.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Monterrey Mexico
This is a thread against what SIO2 Interactive did , and what about the proces s (open door , bug, how ever you want to call it) , and what abnout the OVI "STORE" , this is not all his fault and i do like his work an I do support and i`ll buy his games.

I want good aps and good games, we are not in the "inquisition" just looking people to blame is better to look for an solution to get,
user : better apps and games,
Dev : money for their work

Sorry for my english...

Last edited by matristain; 2010-02-18 at 17:03. Reason: spelling :P

The Following User Says Thank You to matristain For This Useful Post: